Mosin Nagant Bolt Stuck. PLEASE HELP!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin Nagant Bolt Stuck. PLEASE HELP!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin Nagant Bolt Stuck. PLEASE HELP!!

Hey, I'm new here. Looks like an awesome forum .

So like the title says, my Mosin's bolt keeps getting stuck. Here's the thing: I've never even fired it! I've played around with the bolt many times and it's never gotten stuck, but recently I bought some snap caps for it and after a couple times of ejecting them, the bolt gets stuck after I fire on a snap cap.

I'm pretty certain the bolt's not getting stuck inside the boltway because I've completely degreased the rifle of cosmoline; and besides that when I pull the cocking knob back it's as smooth as butter.

Here's another strange thing: when I dry fire it, it's completely smooth and doesn't get stuck. It only gets stuck after I fire on a snap cap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan on shooting this rifle tomorrow and don't want to have to pull the cocking knob back every time I want to eject a round.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #2

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

It's a great forum, when you can, stop by the intro thread and say hello!

You don't need snap caps for the 91/30, dry fire it all day long, it won't hurt a thing. These guns are notorious for "sticky bolt syndrome", the Russians didn't have ergonomics in mind when they designed it so it's going to be stiff cycling the action. You may want to have the headspace checked. If need be, pull the cocking knob back after each shot, that won't hurt it either. If you need quick follow up shots, this really isn't the gun for that. Google sticky bolt/M91/30 and pick which fix is best for you...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 11-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #3

Yeah, I know I don't "need" quick follow up shots, it's just a fun gun, but I'd like to be able to. I mean it's not just a couple of times it gets stuck, it's EVERY TIME there's a cartridge (snap cap) inside of it.

And I've scoured the internet; can't find any suggestions that don't have something to do with removing cosmoline (which I've already done).

Old 11-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #4

"Sticky Mosin Nagant Bolt? Making your Mosin Rock part 1" M91/30 M38 M44 M39 Finnish Russian - YouTube

try this...

Old 11-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #5

Just out of curiosity, what year and armory is your 91/30? My 1940 Tula is a total mix and match when it comes to parts. With the exception of the bolt assembly, not a matching serial # to be found. My 1941 Izvehek (sp?) is all original and cycles just fine. My .02 is that my 1940 isn't "mated" to itself, wasn't broken in as a whole and it takes a bit of azz to cycle the action where my 1941 with it's original parts is tons smoother. There should be a lot more responses for you by people A LOT more knowledgeable than me soon...I'm just mindin' the store

Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #6

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Scrub the hell out of the chamber. Case/dummy round is sticking in leftover goo. There is a sticky here on cleaning the mosin but hell if I remember where. Submerse the chamber in boiling water is one way to take care of that, then flush with more clean scalding hot water

Old 11-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #7

I've already done that, bro. Did it the day I got my Mosin. That's why I'm so frustrated, the Mosin's infamous sticky bolt isn't supposed to occur until it's actually fired (at least from what I've heard). I know it's a cheap gun, but I've tried practically everything and still have basically a non-functioning rifle.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #8

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheraden View Post
I've already done that, bro. Did it the day I got my Mosin. That's why I'm so frustrated, the Mosin's infamous sticky bolt isn't supposed to occur until it's actually fired (at least from what I've heard). I know it's a cheap gun, but I've tried practically everything and still have basically a non-functioning rifle.
Yeah it's supposed to be from heat and pressure. Mine has never done it. You think head spacing could do that?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #9

Hmm, well, I'm out of ideas...keep an eye on this thread, I guarantee someone has some other input, sorry to hear you're having so much trouble..

Old 11-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

asheraden: you say that the bolt only sticks on a snap cap. I would say go out tho the range and put a couple dozen rounds thru her and see if the problem is still there with live ammo. Maybe you have a defective snap cap, just sayin'.

Rufus