Mosin-Nagant 91/30 question - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin-Nagant 91/30 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

If the problem is getting lacquer out of the chamber, the 20 gauge bore brush dipped in lacquer thinner is the best bet.

Tri-Sodium Phosphate is a super bleach. While it will break down cosmoline, it isn't really good for either the varnish finish commonly found on Mosin-Nagants or the wood stock itself. Heat is the best remedy for the removal of cosmoline.

Tom

Old 08-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by trautert View Post
If the problem is getting lacquer out of the chamber, the 20 gauge bore brush dipped in lacquer thinner is the best bet.

Tri-Sodium Phosphate is a super bleach. While it will break down cosmoline, it isn't really good for either the varnish finish commonly found on Mosin-Nagants or the wood stock itself. Heat is the best remedy for the removal of cosmoline.

Tom
BTW it's not TSP, it's a substitute cleaner that doesn't have the harsh or harmful affects as TSP
Oh I also forgot this part: While your wife is shopping, turn the oven on to about 200 degrees and bake everything that ain't wood. then clean as stated in my earlier post.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.