Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin Nagant 91 30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mosin Nagant 91 30

I got this gun for $100 from the gun shop down the road, I've taken completely apart everything looks great on the gun even the barrel which isn't bad at all. The receiver has 1943 stamped into it, which either means it was re barreled in 1943 or the receiver was made I've heard both. Came with two mag pouches, the bayonet, a maintenance kit and a oil bottle. I was looking for a hexagon receiver but they were out of them.

Took it to the range, quarter grouping at 100 yards planning on taking it pig hunting.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes these are fantastic rifles ! You figure for a $100 you have a rifle that can out perform a lot of modern rifles going for upwards of 10 times that cost. I can't get enough of them personally, hex, round, sniper, you name it.

Gratz..

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 03-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #3

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Welcome to the MN club. They are great shooters and you can't beat them for price. Are you going to use surplus ammo? If so, remember they are corrosive. All you need to do is run a little bioling water down the barrel after shooting it and clean as normal.

Enjoy!

Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #4

The are great rifles for the price. I bought a hex 80/91, 1940 from Aim Surplus just before they sold out. Only $80.00 and it's about perfect. It's a re ferb of course, but all the markings are still on the stock also. It's a Tula.
If you go to surplus firearms forum, there is a great post on lowering the trigger pull and creep that can easily be done.
Aim has some really nice 80/91 round receiver models for $70.00, a very good deal. Every once in a while they are getting more hex receiver models in, so check often. They have good prices on ammo also and not just for the 80/91.

I have not had the chance to shoot mine yet due to cold, but I'm really looking forward to shooting it.

They are by far the best deal on mil surp rifles. There are quite a few variations of them also. There is a site for just 80/91's that has a lot of info on them, what the marks mean, the different models etc.

My Best, John K

Old 03-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #5

For the budding collector I believe the Mosin Nagant is one to consider as they are so affordable right now and there are a number of variations.

http://thecgacompany.com/

Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #6

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

The 91/30 is a great rifle. Gunboards is the place!! Tuco has a world of wealth.
If your rifle is stamped 1943, then odds are it is a 1943. In wartime it was easier to produce a new rifle then to refurb an existing one. Heavy ball ammo will always shoot better(180gr) then light ball(150gr). You can buy Russian made 203gr that will shoot very well for hunting. That will put a big hurt on piggies, even the big ones.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Nice looking gun.
I took our mosin out for the first time over the weekend, and boy did i have a blast. First three shots were all head shots on our body target at 100 yards. Can't wait to take it out again.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:30 AM   #8

Which versions would be the best ones to get?

http://thecgacompany.com/

Old 03-23-2011, 03:05 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was looking around I don't remember where I heard it might have been on youtube but they were saying that in general the bolt is hard to work. I had the problem for about a day I completely took the bolt apart and lubed up the whole thing works a lot smoother now.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 03-23-2011, 04:37 AM   #10

Likes Given: 2

Nice! I have a '43 as well, Mine is a Izhevsk 91/30, I wish I could shoot mine more.
Someday, I would like a Tula or Hex receiver, Or both!
Best of luck