Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Mosin or Mauser? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-mauser-65881/)

mattm0812 06-06-2012 03:12 AM

Mosin or Mauser?
 
Which one would you pick? I know the mauser's are a bit more. What's the difference in price of the ammo? Is the 8mm a readily available round? I just see everyone with mosin's and no one with mausers.

sputnik1988 06-06-2012 03:23 AM

The 8x57 is pretty available at this point but who knows for how long, just as the .
54R will eventually dry up. This is the narure of surplus ammo, though I think surplus 7.62x54R will be around a lot longer than 8mm. With that said, the commercial ammo will always be around. 7.62x54R is also cheaper than 8mm, but not a ton.

The mauser is a better action and more desirable (for most people) the biggest reason the the Mosins are so prevalent is the cost. Given a choice I would pick the Mauser all day long, but I would still get a Mosin Nagant.

canebrake 06-06-2012 03:28 AM

Get both!

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...CIMG1484-1.jpg

mattm0812 06-06-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 826559)
The 8x57 is pretty available at this point but who knows for how long, just as the .
54R will eventually dry up. This is the narure of surplus ammo, though I think surplus 7.62x54R will be around a lot longer than 8mm. With that said, the commercial ammo will always be around. 7.62x54R is also cheaper than 8mm, but not a ton.

The mauser is a better action and more desirable (for most people) the biggest reason the the Mosins are so prevalent is the cost. Given a choice I would pick the Mauser all day long, but I would still get a Mosin Nagant.

Gotcha. So to order a gun offline, I can't have it sent to my house, but it has to be sent to a FFL dealer?

sputnik1988 06-06-2012 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattm0812 (Post 826562)
Gotcha. So to order a gun offline, I can't have it sent to my house, but it has to be sent to a FFL dealer?

If you don't have a C&R license then it has to be sent to an FFL, gun shows are a good place to pick up milsurps, that are usually quite a bit cheaper, plus no shipping, no transfer fee and no paper trail.:D

mattm0812 06-06-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 826572)
If you don't have a C&R license then it has to be sent to an FFL, gun shows are a good place to pick up milsurps, that are usually quite a bit cheaper, plus no shipping, no transfer fee and no paper trail.:D

What if you wanted to buy a non C&R firearm? Like a ruger 10/22.

canebrake 06-06-2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattm0812 (Post 826562)
Gotcha. So to order a gun offline, I can't have it sent to my house, but it has to be sent to a FFL dealer?

If you get a FFL03 C&R ($30) from BATFE you can have the gun shipped directly to your house. The two in my other post were shipped to me.

Your FFL will get you "Dealer Pricing" at most gun parts houses like Brownells, MidwayUSA....... I saved the $30 on my first order from Brownells!

Look into getting one.

sputnik1988 06-06-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattm0812 (Post 826574)
What if you wanted to buy a non C&R firearm? Like a ruger 10/22.

Then it has to be sent to an FFL regardless of your C&R status. I forget exactly how old that they have to be in order to qualify.

mattm0812 06-06-2012 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 826579)
Then it has to be sent to an FFL regardless of your C&R status. I forget exactly how old that they have to be in order to qualify.

So my best bet would be to hit up my local gun stores or like bass pro.

Trez 06-06-2012 04:22 AM

Arisaka! :p Costs more than a Mosin, but less than a Mauser....


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:09 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.