Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin clean up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

This is probably a bump but if it is forgive me. I've heard that you can use Glass cleaner to clean the barrel after firing corrosive rounds and non-corrosive rounds instead of the normal method of using patches soaked with Ballistol or what have you.

Does it work? If so, better than Ballistol? What's the overall best method to clean the gun after firing in terms of what gets it the cleanest.

Again, forgive me for the bump and low level knowledge of cleaning my mosin. I've cleaned it with patches and Ballistol before which seems to work fine I didn't know if there was a better method that got did a more thorough cleaning.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #32

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

OGJ-You can use glass cleaner if you want but it's not the ammonia that removes the salts, it's the water in the cleaner that neutralizes the acids...

After shooting corrosive, warm, soapy water through the bore and all metal, then clean as you would any other gun...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #33

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Doc is right mineral spirits is probably the best way to remove comoline. Simple green an hot water will also work well..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #34

Liked 168 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I'm lazy, I let a friend that works at a plating shop degrease all the metal parts on my last purchase. The stock was cleaned with a multitude of different wood cleaners after a short time in the oven, most dents in the wood were pulled using a steam iron and damp cloth.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
OGJ-You can use glass cleaner if you want but it's not the ammonia that removes the salts, it's the water in the cleaner that neutralizes the acids...

After shooting corrosive, warm, soapy water through the bore and all metal, then clean as you would any other gun...
I don't suppose it matters what kind of soap you use does it?

Old 01-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #36

Liked 1744 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGunJunkie View Post
I don't suppose it matters what kind of soap you use does it?
I use Dawn detergent, because it doesn't leave a residue.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #37

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4283

^^^What Doc said^^^

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-28-2014, 12:01 AM   #38

Appreciate it. I'll use it next time when cleaning!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGunJunkie View Post
This is probably a bump but if it is forgive me. I've heard that you can use Glass cleaner to clean the barrel after firing corrosive rounds and non-corrosive rounds instead of the normal method of using patches soaked with Ballistol or what have you.

Does it work? If so, better than Ballistol? What's the overall best method to clean the gun after firing in terms of what gets it the cleanest.

Again, forgive me for the bump and low level knowledge of cleaning my mosin. I've cleaned it with patches and Ballistol before which seems to work fine I didn't know if there was a better method that got did a more thorough cleaning.
I've used glass cleaner and I can say it works

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 03-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #40
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1287 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 3195

I have done work on 4 Mosins in the last few years. Each time I used Engine Degreaser from Wally World on the metal. Take metal outside, put up a tarp so that the barrel can stand against the wall. Put the rest in an aluminum baking pan and spray until the metal is covered in the foam. Rinse the metal in the hottest water that I could stand and towel dry, never a problem. I will remove the old bluing (if necessary) and reblue the metal following the instructions from Birchwood of course.

As for the furniture, I always strip away the old finish then a wash it with paint thinner. I repeat the stripper and thinner routine about three or four times. Each time I let the furniture air dry until I can no longer smell the thinner. I raise any scratches or dents with an iron and damp cloth. Sand as needed #0000 steel wool and then I hand rub Tru-Oil onto the furniture and buff with the #0000 steel wool until I am satisfied with the finish.

Till this day I have not seen any other Mosins that look as good as mine. But then again, I am biased.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
vincent Likes This