Mosin clean up - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin clean up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Water vapor. I have this gadget that evaporate water and the vapor is use to clean surfaces or to "ironing" cloth without the iron. Since the vapor is headed up to over 100 degrees F It should melt the cosmolite. But would it affect the wood or the finish?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Anywhere that the stock isn't sealed would definitely react. Using wet newspaper and an iron is one way to steam dents out of a stock if that gives you any idea.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #23

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

That's what I was thinking, that the wood will not react good to the steam. Thanks for your reply.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #24
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

No problem. We all hate the original clean up process but it's gotta be done.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:37 AM   #25

Default mobile 1 and marvel mystery oil?

I saw at one the first page of this thread that mobile 1 and marvel mystery oil is being used. What is the mobile 1 and marvel mystel oil used for?

Thanks,
CM

Old 01-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #26

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Very nice contribution!!

Now, i'm off to search for marvel mystery oil

not looking forward to this long cleanup process, but *AM* looking forward to having a rifle that looks like yours!

Old 02-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #27

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by josan89 View Post
That's what I was thinking, that the wood will not react good to the steam. Thanks for your reply.
Laminated wood is better than regular wood resisting steam warping, but can still warp. I just take the barrel off, hold it over a pail. and use a funnel to pour very hot or boiling water down the bore. Windex on a patch right after I shoot the Mosin, right at the range! Another one, then a dry patch, and an oil impregnated patch last for a quickie clean job after.

Use the oiled patch trick after the boiling water deep clean, too.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #28

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Default what is the best method to safely remove cosmoline?

I have a mosin nagant 91/30 thats covered In cosmoline. Ive heard lots of methods to remove the cosmoline, but each method has a con ive heard using mineral spirits work problem is if you leave it on too long it will start making pits in the medal and ruin the wood I also dont have the money and time for that another method is to use boiling hot water and pour soak the medal parts in hot water im afraid it will rust my mosin and Im not sure what oil to use for it another method is using an oven it stinks and I live in an appartment and dont want to ruin my oven then another method would be to let it sit in a black plastic bag and let the sun melt it of but its winter and it wont get much hotter than 90• Outside how do I get the cosmoline completley off my mosin?

Last edited by JonM; 12-01-2013 at 01:53 PM.
forrest225 Likes This 
Old 12-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #29

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Well I just,used break free clp and kept wiping the cosmoline till it,was clean

Old 12-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #30

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Mineral spirits work fine on the metal parts. You aren't going to leave them on there for long enough to worry about pitting (which would be caused because teh mineral spirits evaporated and left that metal bare and exposed to moisutre and rust. The hot water method would require soap to cut the grease, and still won't cut the wax componenet of the cosmoline. I use hot soapy water for post shooting clean-up, or if degreasing metal for refinishing. Again the key is to use it long enough to accomplish the job, and then follow up with protecting the metal.
I cleaned up my Mosins with wood and metal separated.

I used Mineral spirits and old tee shirts on the metal, and mineral spirits and a chamber brush and regular bore brushes and swabs for the bore. Then oiled, with CLP or Mobile One. If using hot water, I would use WD40 to displace the water (That's what WD40 stands for "Water Displacement oil fomrula number 40") and then follow up with CLP or Mobile One. The wood, you can do with a rag and a hair dryer. Just heat an area until grease weeps out of the wood, and wipe it off. My Mosins didn't really seem to have grease to deep into the wood, possibly because of the shelac/varnish that they use. I pay attention to the chamber with tthe chamber brush and patches, because Not getting the chamber free of the bees wax is possibly a contributor to sticky bolts as the rifle heats up a bit, or gets some gas blow by and grabs taht carbon and powder residue.

Good luck. The clean up is part of the initiation.