Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin clean up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Default Mosin clean up

It's been awhile since I purchased this 1938 91/30 but I finally got the time to strip it down and clean it up. Out of the box it didn't look to be too mucked up with Cosmoline, good thing since this is my first one.

Here are a few pics of the different steps and products used...all in all a fairly straightforward but time consuming process. Turns out the major ingredient is elbow grease and lots of hot water...and no the rooster isn't needed but comes in handy to add atmosphere to the photos.

Here are a few pics of the metal parts soaking in boiling hot water, the Cosmoline just melted off and floated to the top of the water. One item to note, do not allow the water to cool down...the Cosmoline will congeal back to a waxy substance that gets back on the metal when you take it out of the water.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 10-29-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #2

After getting all the metal parts de-Cosmolined it was time for a bath in a 10:1 mixture of Mobil 1 and Marvel Mystery Oil (thanks Cane).

Here's another warning...before you reassemble the barrel and stock reinstall the rear sight mount, leaf spring and sight base. You may (will) need to use a C-clamp or some other tool to depress the spring enough to insert the roll pin (unless you have the strength of Hercules or a GI Joe Kung Fu grip). Be sure to protect the barrel and sight base with a towel of some sort. Trying to complete the sight with the stock on is, well..let's just say frustrating.

I tried to get a shot of the bore...its actually quite bright with very noticable rifling with no signs of any counterboring.

Now on to the stock. It has a nice reddish color that I want to preserve so I think its Murphy's Oil Soap and lots of work, I'll post up pics of the finished product as soon as they're available.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 10-29-2011 at 05:07 PM.
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 10-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #3

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

The Red Color is actually shellac. Good job!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #4

I de-cosmofied the parts of my PSL in boiling water and had a similar problem - I couldn't lift them out of the water without pulling them through the oily layer floating on top. I ended up cleaning them a second time with mineral spirits. Maybe if I'd let the water cool down until the cosmo congealed and skimmed it off first they'd have come out cleaner.

Marvel and Mobil 1, that's a good idea. Thanks!

Dave

"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
- The Simpsons

Old 10-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
After getting all the metal parts de-Cosmolined it was time for a bath in a 10:1 mixture of Mobil 1 and Marvel Mystery Oil (thanks Cane).
You're welcome.

That stuff (Cane's Mobil Mystery Gun Oil) really works!

Great post Jpyle!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 10-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5315 Times on 2774 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinermad View Post
I de-cosmofied the parts of my PSL in boiling water and had a similar problem - I couldn't lift them out of the water without pulling them through the oily layer floating on top. I ended up cleaning them a second time with mineral spirits. Maybe if I'd let the water cool down until the cosmo congealed and skimmed it off first they'd have come out cleaner.

Dave
sink some paper towels in the water with the parts make sure you weigh em down with something other than parts to be cleaned. when ready to remove carefully cover parts with submerged towels and lift. cosmo will stick to towels not parts.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 10-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinermad View Post

Dave
That's what I would up doing as well, brushed everyting down with Mineral Spirits to get rid of that waxy residue on the metal.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
sink some paper towels in the water with the parts make sure you weigh em down with something other than parts to be cleaned. when ready to remove carefully cover parts with submerged towels and lift. cosmo will stick to towels not parts.
great idea...thanks, I'll have to remember that.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:38 AM   #9

Finished product...all shined up and ready to rock and roll...

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 10-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #10

Nice work! The orange polish didn't leave the wood sticky, did it?

Dave

"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
- The Simpsons