Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin chamber problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default Mosin chamber problem

I recently purchased a Chinese type 53 Mosin Nagant and as I was cleaning it for the first time I noticed that as I poured solvent down the chamber the solvent would leak out from the hole where the front trigger guard screw goes, is this a problem? Perhaps the chamber has a crack

Join The NRA And Protect Our Rights

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #2

Liked 2360 Times on 1056 Posts
Likes Given: 2266

Some of the nagant's had through machine holes in the receivers. It's possible the solvent got around the barrel threads and went out the hole. http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinReceiver.htm

Old 11-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #3

So would it be safe to fire? I have inspected it and it seems free of cracks.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #4

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I am not familiar with the Nagant rifles. But cracks in steel are in most cases impossible to see. If you feel it is fractured get it "Black Lighted". Any tube or pipe inspection service can determine if it has a problem.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:01 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1684 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 860

rjd nailed it. The question is, was it leaking with the screw removed or in place. If a liquid found its way around the screw, so will the pressurized powder gas. The screw must seal the hole or be replaced. Nice pickup.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #6

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Why would a screw extend through a chamber wall? That would be a very serious problem.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1684 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Why would a screw extend through a chamber wall? That would be a very serious problem.
The screw hits the barrel thread but does not penetrate the bore. So normally the leak would be negligible, contained by the barrel threads tight in the receiver. I think I was incorrect blaming the trigger guard screw first. A defect in the barrel thread is what really would unseal the chamber.

Why the long screw, I don't get it either. Just a guess, the original Mosin mag screw was prone to walking out, so it was decided to drill a deeper hole, and that the rifle could take it.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #8

Liked 2079 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 447

First I would check a few things.

These guns get packed in some grade concoctions that can get into just about every crevice.

I would remove all of the barrel/action metal from the stock. I would degrease and dry all of that with brake or carb cleaner. Then repeat your solvent application the same way you did it before and see where the solvent is flowing. It should be easier to see on really dry metal.

The front trigger guard screw should not go all the way into the threads of the action where the barrel mounts, and definitely should not penetrate through the barrel threads and into the chamber.

I suspect that your solvent either ran down aft of the barrel and got close to the screw hole, or some if the factory grease,oil was wrapping out of the hole. But if you test things out like outlined above it may narrow things down.

It is possible that there is a crack or that some Chinese armorer try append the hole and went into the threads or even into the chamber itself. If the chambers is compromised in any way, you have a non-shooting wall hanger, unless it gets rebarreled. You may be able to look inside the screw hole and see if you can see threads at the bottom if the hole, which could indicate that the action is drilled and tapped all the way through, but that the barrel threads are not drilled into, which would be ok. Them it may mean that the solvent just spilled out the back if the chamber and into the threads and worked its way down.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 11-06-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #9

The screw does not go through the chamber but does rest on the barrel threads. I could understand some solvent leaking out of the screw hole but in this case the solvent leaks out as fast as I pour it in. I also tried to repeat the solvent leakage in another Chinese t53 mosin and not a drop leaked out. I think I will take it by a gunsmith and if it's unsafe It will be a parts gun...

Old 11-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #10

Liked 2079 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCody View Post
The screw does not go through the chamber but does rest on the barrel threads. I could understand some solvent leaking out of the screw hole but in this case the solvent leaks out as fast as I pour it in. I also tried to repeat the solvent leakage in another Chinese t53 mosin and not a drop leaked out. I think I will take it by a gunsmith and if it's unsafe It will be a parts gun...
Sounds smart.

Here is a link to pic of the Mosin action and how deep the screw should be according to the original design. The Chinese may have found it more expediant to drill all the way through the recoil lug, and then tap the entire hole.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.socamo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mosin_Nagant_91_30_2.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.socamo.com/blog/links/&h=600&w=1600&sz=167&tbnid=YWyG2F7miHQwJM:&tbnh=90 &tbnw=240&zoom=1&usg=__dN8q5iRBjHay0RVASG-t6aR6Q5I=&docid=T1kLJQP9W7UdNM&sa=X&ei=ZGJ6Ut_BHYy zsASQmIGIDg&ved=0CC8Q9QEwAg

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 11-06-2013 at 04:07 PM.