Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin, C&R?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin, C&R?

I figure this is the right place to ask. Now I see a lot of people who pick up a Mosin because of the price and relatively good shot placement (and lets face it it's pretty sexy lookin). But my question is it's not technically a Curio and Relic I mean you don't need a C&R license to purchase one do you?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Nope! Not at all.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8448 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

It IS a Curio & Relic Firearm (technically) and no, you do not need a C&R FFL to buy one.

Curio & Relic Firearm is defined in US Law as a firearm that is 50 years old, or older, OR is on a list of firearms published by the BATFE. (All Colt Woodsman pistols, ALL Winchester Mdl 88s, regardless of age, etc) So a Marlin 39A rifle that is 60 yrs old is a C&R- one that is 49 years old is not.

The 03 C&R FFL permits the holder to acquire and dispose of C&R Firearms across a state line without going thru a dealer. I am in VA, find an M1 Carbine in Idaho that I like, seller and I agree on a price, I send him a signed copy of my license, he puts carbine in the mail to me.

HOWEVER- you, one of the unlicensed masses, may go to a dealer, fill out a form 4473, get a background check, pay the man, and pickup your M-N 91/30. I just have a lot less paperwork to do than you do.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 04-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #4

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

c3shooter for the win. That sums it up quite nicely.