Mosin #4... *sigh* - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin #4... *sigh*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6033 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
What is the mag capacity
mag is 5 rounds or 4+1 standard bolt action capacity. the rifle was designed shortly after armies were still using and barely giving up the use of single shot rifles, so 5 rounds was a big thing in the 1800's.

the 1891 mosin was a new thing for its time it was similar to the effect the m1 garand had on warfare. the lee enfield came out 4 years later with a 10 round detachable magazine. but in the russian area of influence it was a dramatic change.

it was such a good service rifle our troops are STILL encountering it in the hands of our enemies in the middle east today...

so buy a mosin and keep it out of the hands of terrorists!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #22

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

mag is 5 rounds or 4+1 standard bolt action capacity. the rifle was designed shortly after armies were still using and barely giving up the use of single shot rifles, so 5 rounds was a big thing in the 1800's.

the 1891 mosin was a new thing for its time it was similar to the effect the m1 garand had on warfare. the lee enfield came out 4 years later with a 10 round detachable magazine. but in the russian area of influence it was a dramatic change.

it was such a good service rifle our troops are STILL encountering it in the hands of our enemies in the middle east today...

so buy a mosin and keep it out of the hands of terrorists!!
Good point on keeping out of there hands lol. Ware is the best place to get one

Old 03-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Good point on keeping out of there hands lol. Ware is the best place to get one
i like to hand pick surplus guns but if you dont mind just getting any old one to crank off rounds and willing to let the distributor pick for you then try here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f53/russian-mosin-nagant-1891-30-round-receiver-rifle-60373/

maybe if you send her a pm she might help ya get a really nice one

cant hurt to ask

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #24

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
What's the thing about the mosin besides the history. I have never paid much agitation to them but I've seen so much said about then I might be interested in picking one up. About all I know about them is they are relatively cheap.
I knew nothing about them at all until my FFL sold me

a mint Polish 1955 M44. I got a good deal with extra ammo,

accessories, etc. I was unimpressed. My attitude was

"ennhh, I'll shoot a mag, clean it, and put it in my

collection" . I went to the range with it, and had a

blast with it. 85 plus rounds, and a blue shoulder later,

I was hooked. There's an insane fun factor.

I guess it also helps if you appreciate milsurps

and are somewhat of a war historian...

Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

one other thing. if you dont get a bolt tool with yours you will need one to properly clean and service the bolt. https://www.buymilsurp.com/mosin-nagant-tool-early-polish-p-7722.html may not be the best price just an example

Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 AM   #26

My new 91/30. Took her to the range today and put 30 rounds through her. No issues to speak of, other than trying to sight the darn thing in! An extremely fun rifle, got quite a few looks from how loud it fired off.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

image-1158831136.jpg   image-1126620863.jpg  

Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Congrats!! these mosins are definately one of the underrated hidden secrets of the gun world!!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjonca View Post
My new 91/30. Took her to the range today and put 30 rounds through her. No issues to speak of, other than trying to sight the darn thing in! An extremely fun rifle, got quite a few looks from how loud it fired off.

How are you liking the scout scope arrangement on your 91/30?

Old 03-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan

How are you liking the scout scope arrangement on your 91/30?
It was a little ungainly when adjustment was needed to the Picatinny base, but that was only for the initial scope-in. It also "feels" a little off, but I think that may be because of the additional inch and a half added by the butt plate. Overall I like it, think I'll keep this configuration...for now anyway.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjonca View Post
It was a little ungainly when adjustment was needed to the Picatinny base, but that was only for the initial scope-in. It also "feels" a little off, but I think that may be because of the additional inch and a half added by the butt plate. Overall I like it, think I'll keep this configuration...for now anyway.

Thanks... I guess I have an issue in general with long eye relief scopes. I've got a Leupold on my S&W 500 but can't seem to line it up properly so was thinking of putting it on one of my Mosin's where I'd have better control.. I know it's like putting $2k in rims and tires on a POS automobile but it's driving me nut's where it's at now...