Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mosin #4... *sigh*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5458 Times on 2850 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Default Mosin #4... *sigh*

i had 45 minutes to blow after lunch while waiting for a bank official at my bank to return from lunch so i made a big mistake by stopping at dunham's to check their c&r stock. they had a couple of hex receiver mosin 91/30 ive been wanting a hex mosin and ended up getting a 1932 ishvek. so im up to 4 now.

imported by ati it came with most of the goodies including a bayonet.

mosins are evil and reproduce like mad. the other hex rifle had a slightly nicer stock but this one had some brass fittings and once shined up and the stock refinished will be a nicer gun. the bore was tighter at the muzzle a test bullet would go down very far at all so it may slug out small enough to use .308 bullets for reloads.

enough rambling here are the pics:

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #2

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I do like those brass fittings...

Congrats Jon, see ya when you adopt #5!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #3

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Yeah, my #3, a 1925 Izzy, 45 inch stock, horrid thick red varnish job,

all serials are intact, rifling good, so I can only assume it was slated for

deep storage, and that's why they pasted it with such a varnish job.

It should be a 1891 Dragoon, but it's got the routered grips on the stock?

Naarrgh...

Old 03-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6953 Times on 4184 Posts
Likes Given: 8362

It's a good looking rifle, Jon. Congratulations.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
It's a good looking rifle, Jon. Congratulations.
Wait till you see it when im done with it!! ive got two coats of finish on the stock. Prolly going 3 or 4 more before im happy with it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-17-2012, 02:51 AM   #6

I just purchased one of these, can't wait to pick it up. What sort of finish are you using on the stock, I think I will have to put a little work into mine as well.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 03-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Ahh I need a hex. That thing is beautiful man.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjonca View Post
I just purchased one of these, can't wait to pick it up. What sort of finish are you using on the stock, I think I will have to put a little work into mine as well.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk
glad ya asked!!

its cherry blossom from minwax

the issue i had with it is the age of the wood. its so damn old and dried out it was hard to get it to take the stain well. i did break the front handguard band retainer putting it back together and had to dig one up off gunbroker. spare stock metal parts are dmn hard to find. even so i cant find some parts.

sling hole estuchions im going to have to make myself. once i get those made and the new retainers show up it will be ready.

the stock was not originally found on a 1938 model as its a post war surplus refurb stock so i had zero issues with doing it up in pink. what i am going to do is hunt down a nice pre war style and inish out very nicely with a redish or plum like finish

Last edited by JonM; 03-17-2012 at 03:30 AM.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:46 AM   #9

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
glad ya asked!!

its cherry blossom from minwax

the issue i had with it is the age of the wood. its so damn old and dried out it was hard to get it to take the stain well. i did break the front handguard band retainer putting it back together and had to dig one up off gunbroker. spare stock metal parts are dmn hard to find. even so i cant find some parts.

sling hole estuchions im going to have to make myself. once i get those made and the new retainers show up it will be ready.

the stock was not originally found on a 1938 model as its a post war surplus refurb stock so i had zero issues with doing it up in pink. what i am going to do is hunt down a nice pre war style and inish out very nicely with a redish or plum like finish
Here you go...Mosin graveyard of parts...https://www.buymilsurp.com/mosin-nagant-parts-accessories-mosin-nagant-rifle-parts-c-2_3.html

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Unfortunately they were my first stop. Theyve been sold out of estuchions for at leqst a week now.