Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > More M1 Garands at CMP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Old 04-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #42

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 726

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
There anything that doesn't cost money to join that qualifies? Or some place else sell them that doesn't make you jump through hoops?
Quote:
Just asking if there's any place else selling them because i don't agree with their requirements. Not saying they're a bad company by any means
You can go buy one like any other gun...
Its just that $600 Garand is gonna cost you like a $1,000..
orangello Likes This 
Old 04-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #43

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92
Just asking if there's any place else selling them because i don't agree with their requirements. Not saying they're a bad company by any means
The requirements are derived from the Congressional charter that founded the CMP. Sales of firearms by CMP are specifically exempted from all BATFE regulations. Membership in a shooting organization is, in my opinion, a minor thing since many here already belong to CMP affiliated organizations.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
There anything that doesn't cost money to join that qualifies? Or some place else sell them that doesn't make you jump through hoops?
I absolutely hear you and am not a fan of the "hoops" myself. Most government surplus auctions are easier, but this wasn't really set up as a surplus materials auction so much as it was supposed to be a program to encourage marksmanship training amongst the populace (potential draftees perhaps). These rifles are not supposed to be a pile of surplus crap and are priced very low to comparable rifles at regular outlets.

There is a range about 20 minutes away that I've been wanting to try out anyway, and it has a nice rifle range, sposedly. It is on their list (clicks heels).

There were a couple of online places you could just send a little cash to get in on the deals, but I understand if their requirements bother you on principal.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:31 AM   #45

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

remember that the various "hoops" that one has to go through are there for a reason. sort of a way to keep the rift raft out. check the CMP charter and mission. this is not a program designed for hoarding weapons for some future disaster.

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #46

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What hoops???
$14 gets you club membership
Print out form ,take it to the range and have range officer witness you handling firearms and have him sign off .
Pick out which rifle you want ,send money
Pretty darn simple if you ask me to save hundreds of dollars and have a Garand that has been checked and test fired

Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
What hoops???
$14 gets you club membership
Print out form ,take it to the range and have range officer witness you handling firearms and have him sign off .
Pick out which rifle you want ,send money
Pretty darn simple if you ask me to save hundreds of dollars and have a Garand that has been checked and test fired
I hear you, but some people, like me, don't frequent ranges or have one located within a half-hour of their house. I haven't shot at an actual range since I was a kid.

It could certainly be called a "hoop". It isn't a cicus poodle's flaming hoop or a dolphin's hoop over water or even a stripper's hula-hoop, but it is a hoop to be navigated. The hoops are there for a good reason; this program wasn't designed to mail out firearms willy-nilly but only to those interested in marksmanship.

Some of us are interested in acquiring a nice rifle at a very fair price, but we might be less interested in spending time at a range shooting with strangers when we could be at a buddy's field shooting with friends/family.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #48

Well then go to a gun show or gun store and pay hundreds more with no customer support

Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Well then go to a gun show or gun store and pay hundreds more with no customer support
Are you in charge of the CMP? Do you set their requirements? Mom is that you?

If the OP wants to look for an easier way to meet the CMP requirements, there is no reason to discourage him.

As for me, I don't like the "hoops" either, BUT I will tolerate their inconvenience for as long as it takes to secure a rifle I want, just like the noise and crowds at a gun show. If they required a lifelong commitment to bi-weekly target practice, I would pass, but the requirements seem pretty short-term to me. Get my enhanced carry permit with training day (when I plan to later this year), pay dues to some organization, then go to Aniston and pick out a nice rifle to buy.

Of course, one could argue that the requirements are as exclusionary as the written exam required for voting in the reconstruction period, at least to people without the time or money to join a club not really helpful to them or the few hundred bucks for the carry permit process. Maybe people in such dire straits have more important things to be doing than marksmanship?

Old 04-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #50

If you are to lazy to meet a few simple requirements then by all means go elswhere and pay more. Just do your homework before you do so you dont get stung on a bad rifle
CMP is the best place for a person that doesnt know what to look for
JMO yours may vary