Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > More M1 Garands at CMP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 179 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickhauler

If you hold a concealed carry permit, you're qualified for their marksmanship criteria. If you're a veteran, and belong to the American Legion/VFW, or other recognized veterans groups, the club criteria is met.

Less that, paying a $25.00 fee to join the Garand Collectors Association is cheap to be qualified to buy firearms they sell at the prices they're charging. But, if "jumping through hoops" is so tough for you, you can always choose to buy these same firearms for double that price (or more) from some dealer who stocks his racks at the lower price the CMP is charging for them.

And trust me, when the IHC Garands show up, I'd wager you'll see them offered in their auctions. And they ain't gonna sell for cheap.
Ok, why have I been attacked multiple times now for saying I'm not a fan of their policy? Maybe I'd rather give an extra 2-300$ to a lgs where I can shake the mans hand that sold me a firearm and didn't require me to sign up for a "club" I'll never participate n just to purchase something from him

Old 05-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #92

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Perhaps because that local guy you're paying that extra $2-300.00 to isn't using the profits to promote the shooting sports? Because that local guy didn't pay to employ a dude to insure the firearm is safe to shoot? Instead, HE "jumped" through a few "hoops" as you call them, and bought the firearm at the CMP, and added a few hundred, up to double what he paid, before he offered it for sale?

Myself, I'd prefer to see the profits from my purchases go to a place that is active in bringing new shooters into the sport, instead of paying a car payment for a local dealer who got the old military rifle I'm buying from the cheaper source. I'm pretty sure I finance enough stuff with my local dealer that he ain't gonna be hurt too badly.

See, I've heard that same BS claim about too many "hoops" too many times to accept that. Hell, I used it myself, until I went through the simple requirements myself, and saw how easy it was.

But going my your logic, if the list price of a firearm you wanted was $500.00, and your local guy chose to price gouge you and charge you a grand, you'd be cool with it as long as he shook your hand. Want to buy a nice Hi Point C-9 for $500.00? I'll even shake your hand and tell you that I think you're pretty damned cool!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #93

Liked 179 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickhauler
Perhaps because that local guy you're paying that extra $2-300.00 to isn't using the profits to promote the shooting sports? Because that local guy didn't pay to employ a dude to insure the firearm is safe to shoot? Instead, HE "jumped" through a few "hoops" as you call them, and bought the firearm at the CMP, and added a few hundred, up to double what he paid, before he offered it for sale?

Myself, I'd prefer to see the profits from my purchases go to a place that is active in bringing new shooters into the sport, instead of paying a car payment for a local dealer who got the old military rifle I'm buying from the cheaper source. I'm pretty sure I finance enough stuff with my local dealer that he ain't gonna be hurt too badly.

See, I've heard that same BS claim about too many "hoops" too many times to accept that. Hell, I used it myself, until I went through the simple requirements myself, and saw how easy it was.

But going my your logic, if the list price of a firearm you wanted was $500.00, and your local guy chose to price gouge you and charge you a grand, you'd be cool with it as long as he shook your hand. Want to buy a nice Hi Point C-9 for $500.00? I'll even shake your hand and tell you that I think you're pretty damned cool!
That 2-300$ is going to MY LOCAL TOWN. The guys that go to MY range.... I value a shootable M1 around 800$ anyways, they're fantastic firearms. Why am I such a jackass for disagreeing with a companies policy? I shop at walmart all the time and never once attacked the people that come on here and bich about walmart. So what I don't care for cmp, I never dissed them or put them down. I'll pass on the hi point, the box they come in is worth more than the gun

Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #94
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4703

Could be worse:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/acaswell_china/acrobatic%20show/hoops2.mp4

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 05-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #95

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Stockhauler excellent post. We would not have access to these rifles if it were not for CMP. These rifles would have along with others been dumped into the ocean. I have never seen a Nation of FFL holders try to save tons of American history for our us.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #96

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Were do you think those Garands are coming form that you are paying hundreds of dollars more for at your local gunshow or gunstore???
CMP of course

Old 05-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #97
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 951 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 698

For what it's worth, as a member of the Illinois State Rifle Association, that is acceptable as a membership program. Not sure about other states. AND those dollars go right into advocating for my rights - to me that's more valuable than my local LGS.

Thanks to CMP and a local affiliated rifle club, I was able to use a club Garand and shot my first CMP match last weekend at almost no cost. While I'm not a beginner, they hope we can bring new people in to these matches, to teach them, let them handle and shoot history, and learn about firearms. Plus if your LGS or training center won't sign off on your qualifications, shoot a CMP match and provided you handle everything safely, generally stay on target, and show a willingness to learn, you can get your qualification certificate AND have fun all at the same time.

And as was mentioned, when you purchase from CMP, these are checked and ready to shoot. Not modified, not trashed - no question you're getting what you're paying for. Hard to get that promise on a used firearm from an LGS or private party.

But, it is your money and you are free to spend it whereever you like.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 04:21 AM   #98
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 951 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 698

Man, I wish I had this kinda of dough but I'm not really sure why I would spend $3000 on a Garand. M-1 Carbine for $1000, maybe.
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/index.asp

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 06-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #99

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Those Garands are collector rifles, not your common mixmasters

Old 06-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #100

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 39

lol I have one in the safe that cost 4K. All about provenance.