Moisin Nagant Mod.91/30 - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Moisin Nagant Mod.91/30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 02:03 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=AcidFlashGordon;100419]

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post

It's possible. The marking shows the arsenal the weapon came from (Collecting and Shooting the Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 - HISTORY). That site only shows 2 but it notes that the Mosins were manufactured throughout Russia.
Thanks for the link! This month's Guns & Ammo has an article on the 91/30. Tens of thousands were made here by Remington for Russia, but the Revolution halted delivery on that contract, and US Soldiers actually used some of them fro training during WW1. Many other countries made them also, Finland being one of the quality manufacturers.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #42

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The hex shaped receiver was REPORTEDLY stronger than the round ones.

The obvious differences...

The top one is my first one and the bottom is the one I bought Friday at a local gun and safe store, Citadel Gun and Safe. On the round receiver, you can just see the Izhevsk arsenal mark near the front sight (the star) and on the hex receiver, you can see the Tule arsenal mark near the hex part of the receiver (the triangle).

When my coworker gets back from vacation, he's offered to take me to the private range he's a member of so I can try running some rounds through these historic monsters. I have 880 rounds of Bulgarian 7.62 x 54r so I think I've got enough to make my shoulder completely black and blue.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #43

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post

The obvious differences...

The top one is my first one and the bottom is the one I bought Friday at a local gun and safe store, Citadel Gun and Safe. On the round receiver, you can just see the Izhevsk arsenal mark near the front sight (the star) and on the hex receiver, you can see the Tule arsenal mark near the hex part of the receiver (the triangle).

When my coworker gets back from vacation, he's offered to take me to the private range he's a member of so I can try running some rounds through these historic monsters. I have 880 rounds of Bulgarian 7.62 x 54r so I think I've got enough to make my shoulder completely black and blue.
I keep hearing how bad the recoil is on these guns. I shot some 147gr. Czech ammo through mine, and the recoil was less than a 150 gr. .308 round. The people complaining about recoil must be shooting the 203gr. bullets. I find the 91/30 very pleasant to shoot.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #44
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8703 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
The people complaining about recoil must be shooting the 203gr
More than likely, the complainers have been shooting an AR in 5.56!

Recoil is stout, but not horrendous. I have shot some heavy ball with my M-38, and you know right away it is not an M-1 carbine, but is not crippling. More than a .303 enfield, similar to an 8mm Mauser.

For all waiting to shoot a M-N for first time, take a small shotgun borebrush, some hoppes #9, and a drill- scrub the daylights out of the chamber before shooting. Old, dried Cosmoline makes opening bolt REALLY tough (pass me that chunk of 2x4, please)

Old 06-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #45

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
More than likely, the complainers have been shooting an AR in 5.56!

Recoil is stout, but not horrendous. I have shot some heavy ball with my M-38, and you know right away it is not an M-1 carbine, but is not crippling. More than a .303 enfield, similar to an 8mm Mauser.

For all waiting to shoot a M-N for first time, take a small shotgun borebrush, some hoppes #9, and a drill- scrub the daylights out of the chamber before shooting. Old, dried Cosmoline makes opening bolt REALLY tough (pass me that chunk of 2x4, please)
Hopefully, within the next few weeks, a coworker (who has a Desert Sportman's membership) will be taking me there so I can run some rounds through my round and hex receiver Mosins. That's going to depend on our mission schedule, though, and whether we're just plain too "pooped to pop." I'll be going to the Crossroads of the West gun show at the Trop (June 13-14) on a quest for 7.62 x 39 so I can take my AK-47 along as well. Otherwise, it'll be the Mosins and my AR-15 for rifle "play" out there.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #46

Default RE: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
For ****z and giggles I bought a hex receivered 91/30 with a 1929 date. It was only $99. It is in excellent condition with bright bore and well defined rifling. I was wondering if anyone here has one, and how accurate they are. I have to wait at least two weeks for the ammo to arrive. I ordered some cheap Hungarian 147gr. FMJ's and was also wondering what type and weight ammo is the most accurate?
I had both the Model 1891 and the 91/30. The 1891 was a heck of a shooter - only bad part was that I couldn't find a proper stock! It's about 4" longer than the 91/30, and NO ONE carries that longer piece of the stock. Gotta make your own. I sold the real piece of crap that I took off mine for $50, if you believe that!

IMHO, the metal used is top quality. You see these that are 100 years old with bright bores and no rust. Where else do you see that?

I've heard the Finnish steel is the best quality of the 1891s. The quality of the steel dropped off quite a bit with the later 91/30s as the war approached, as you can imagine. But a '29 - they still had good metal coming in.

The early guns are the best. Easy to shoot, easy to clean, easy to maintain. Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot. Plenty of ammo to be had, though it can be very corrosive, so clean religiously. A good choice!

Old 06-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #47

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_kid View Post
I had both the Model 1891 and the 91/30. The 1891 was a heck of a shooter - only bad part was that I couldn't find a proper stock! It's about 4" longer than the 91/30, and NO ONE carries that longer piece of the stock. Gotta make your own. I sold the real piece of crap that I took off mine for $50, if you believe that!

IMHO, the metal used is top quality. You see these that are 100 years old with bright bores and no rust. Where else do you see that?

I've heard the Finnish steel is the best quality of the 1891s. The quality of the steel dropped off quite a bit with the later 91/30s as the war approached, as you can imagine. But a '29 - they still had good metal coming in.

The early guns are the best. Easy to shoot, easy to clean, easy to maintain. Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot. Plenty of ammo to be had, though it can be very corrosive, so clean religiously. A good choice!

Well since I first posted this I've shot over 200 rds. through it - I ordered 440 rds. of Russian surplus 147gr. steel core ammo and it grouped the same as the Czech 147gr. FMJ's I first tried. It also penetrates 16" oak trees 100 yds. downrange! The gun is very accurate placing all rounds within a 2 -4" area with open sights and old eyes. What I did notice is how dirty the gun gets. It takes almost 20 patches before the barrel starts coming clean. I'm wondering if there's pitting that I can't see or if the 80's vintage surplus ammo is THAT dirty. The gun is very accurate so I don't think it's the barrel.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #48

Likes Given: 2

Mosin-nagant is a wonderful piece of history and fun to shoot as well. As far as the Caliber goes, there is a reason this round continues to be produced and used in large numbers even today, It is deadly powerful. With a few exceptions most of the 91/30's in good shape are excellent shooters, the exceptions being the late war models. Toward the end of the war demand for more rifles was mushrooming out of control and supplies of raw materials were dwindling. The result was often an inferior weapon, the easiest way to spot one of these is by the roughness of the metal work, its usually coarse and unfinished. Also, the slots in the stock for the dog collar sling won't have any metal inserts, just bare wood. Unless you want one for its historical value i wouldn't purchase a late war model, but most of the others are great shooters and fun. If you want a real flame thrower, pick up an M44 or an M38 Carbine, they kick harder and bark louder. But the Rolls Royce of the Mosin-Nagants are the Finnish guns, they are superior to the Russian guns in every aspect and in some cases superior to all bolt action guns of the era. The HIGH caliber of craftsmanship of the Finnish Gunsmiths produced several dead on accurate models, while the price is considerably higher, they are well worth it. If you have any questions about specifics you can E-mail me at mcurry092080@yahoo.com, I have over 30 Mosin-Nagants and collect WW2 era firearms, so I know a little.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST