Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Moisin Nagant Mod.91/30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default 125 Yd. Range Report

Well I took my Moisin to my 125 yd. range today and produced the following groups. Both targets are 5 rounds each. The bottom target has an extreme spread of 3.25" and the top target is 2.75" due to a 'flyer, however the top target (2.75" spread)has two groups of two shots touching. My aimpoint was NOT at the center of the target. I aimed at the green outer ring because at 100 yds. I can't see the bullseye. With a scope and some good ammo I'm sure this rifle would be very accurate. Actually in the hands of someone who can see, it would probably be very accurate.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-08-2009 at 03:09 AM.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #32

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

hell thats still not to shabby with factory stock iron sights @125yrds....it would still be a clean kill...and i deff. wouldnt want to be the person being shoot with that rifle at any range...:/try some reloads im sure theyll tighten up...

Old 04-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #33

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
hell thats still not to shabby with factory stock iron sights @125yrds....it would still be a clean kill...and i deff. wouldnt want to be the person being shoot with that rifle at any range...:/try some reloads im sure theyll tighten up...
Well m72, for an 80 yr. old battle rifle which has known nothing but corrosive ammo, it's not too bad, certainly good enough for hunting in my woods. As for not wanting to get hit with it, I shot at a 12-14" oak tree yesterday that was 100yds. down range and it passed right through and continued through a 3" sapling several yds. beyond. Loaded with soft points this cartridge would make a real mess of whatever it hits.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #34

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Very nice grouping. Good shooting.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #35

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Very nice grouping. Good shooting.
\

Thanks Sgt. - problem with not being able to focus on a bull at 100 yds. is that I'm never sure if it's the gun or me...more than likely it's me

Old 04-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
\

Thanks Sgt. - problem with not being able to focus on a bull at 100 yds. is that I'm never sure if it's the gun or me...more than likely it's me
You're not alone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #37

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
You're not alone.
LOL - and the good news is when the SHTF they won't be putting us on perimeter defense...

Old 04-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #38

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Thanks CA. Mine seems to be in excellent condition with no scratches or dings in the wood and a "1929" Date stamp on top of the hex receiver. The numbers match on the magazine, bolt, receiver and butt plate. The bore looks bright and has deep rifling grooves. I don't have a borescope so I can't tell if the throat is erroded. The bolt locks up tight and is quite stiff. The only thing wrong is the bayonet they shipped doesn't push down far enough to engage the slot for the front sight. But I don't plan on stabbing anyone with the bayonet....
Sounds a lot like my 1942 round receiver model. All the numbers match and the bolt slides home with a very satisfying "click." Same problem with the bayonet...can't slide it far enough down to lock in place. Haven't cleaned the cosmoline off it yet and it has a couple of dings in the wood behind the receiver and around the butt plate but all in all, in very decent condition.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #39

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=AcidFlashGordon;100293]Sounds a lot like my 1942 round receiver model. All the numbers match and the bolt slides home with a very satisfying "click." Same problem with the bayonet...can't slide it far enough down to lock in place. Haven't cleaned the cosmoline off it yet and it has a couple of dings in the wood behind the receiver and around the butt plate but all in all, in very decent condition.

Looks nice! Do you know anything about the markings on the receiver? I noticed most of the 1940's vintage guns have the "star". Mine doesn't and I'm wondering if the 1929 date has anything to do with it.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:22 AM   #40

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

[QUOTE=RL357Mag;100320]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
Sounds a lot like my 1942 round receiver model. All the numbers match and the bolt slides home with a very satisfying "click." Same problem with the bayonet...can't slide it far enough down to lock in place. Haven't cleaned the cosmoline off it yet and it has a couple of dings in the wood behind the receiver and around the butt plate but all in all, in very decent condition.

Looks nice! Do you know anything about the markings on the receiver? I noticed most of the 1940's vintage guns have the "star". Mine doesn't and I'm wondering if the 1929 date has anything to do with it.
It's possible. The marking shows the arsenal the weapon came from (Collecting and Shooting the Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 - HISTORY). That site only shows 2 but it notes that the Mosins were manufactured throughout Russia.