Moisin Nagant Mod.91/30 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Moisin Nagant Mod.91/30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 02:52 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Speaking of scopes, I tried a scout scope mount on my M38 with a Nikon long eye relief scope. I just couldn't get used to it and the mount was a pos.

I have found the answer for me though, Mojo sights. They're an adjustable rear sight that's like a peep sight. I just put one on my 91/59 today and will try it out tomorrow.

Granted the sight radius isn't extremely long, but the sight picture seems awesome. I'll know more tomorrow.

Here's a link, they advertise on Surplusrifle. com: Peep Sights by MOJO Sighting Systems

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-12-2009, 02:53 AM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks Redhawk - I don't want to spend money ona long eye relief scope. I don't care for the look of "scout" rifles anyway. I was wondering if anyone actually tried the drill & tap method. I ordered 147gr. FMJ ammo and will post a range report when it arrives.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Speaking of scopes, I tried a scout scope mount on my M38 with a Nikon long eye relief scope. I just couldn't get used to it and the mount was a pos.

I have found the answer for me though, Mojo sights. They're an adjustable rear sight that's like a peep sight. I just put one on my 91/59 today and will try it out tomorrow.

Granted the sight radius isn't extremely long, but the sight picture seems awesome. I'll know more tomorrow.

Here's a link, they advertise on Surplusrifle. com: Peep Sights by MOJO Sighting Systems
I looked at this link and I'm very interested how it works out for you.

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.”

That was over 30 years ago in a movie about a place that doesn't exist. Now it perfectly describes what is left of our nations capital.
----------------------------------
- S&W M&P 9
- S&W 22A
- Mosin Nagant 91/30 x-sniper 1944
- Remington 870 Express synthetic
- 1851 Colt .44 Reproduction

Old 04-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #24

Quote:

Tried to reply to this and it wouldn't let me. But I seem to be able to post elsewhere on the forum. Oh well. I was trying to say I liked the look of that sight and I bookmarked the link so I can follow up after you try it out. It looks rather nice. Edit...now it seems to be working fine.
Thanks

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.”

That was over 30 years ago in a movie about a place that doesn't exist. Now it perfectly describes what is left of our nations capital.
- S&W M&P 9
- S&W 22A
- Mosin Nagant 91/30 x-sniper 1944
- Remington 870 Express synthetic
- 1851 Colt .44 Reproduction

Old 04-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:

I put a MoJo rear on my Mod. 59/66 SKS and it improved the sight picture for my old eyes dramatically. It would be a better on the Nagant due to the longer sight radius. These Nagants are LOOOOONG guns! Whatever you do, don't waste your money on Tech Sights rear aperature sights - I wasted $60 on my SKS only to buy the MoJo sight instead.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for the tip. I'd never heard of the Tech sighs, but as long as it works, I'll stick with the Mojo. Anyway, I'll find out in a couple of hours when I get to the range.

It's always good to have your mojo workin'.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
It's always good to have your mojo workin'.

LMAO! I saw the Tech Sight ads in Shotgun News and thought it would help with my SKS's lousy accuracy. What they failed to mention in the add is that the sight must be removed each time you clean the gun since it mounts on the SKS Bolt Cover (which is a sloppy fit to begin with) this just exascerbates the innacuracy of the gun! The only good thing about the Tech Sight is the fine target front post they supply. That part I left on.
Good luck at the range and "keep em' in the ten ring"!

Old 04-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Range Report

Well I just received my cheap 1980 vintage Hungarian 7.62 x 54 FMJ ammo and headed out to my range with the Moisin 91/30. The first shot was 2" right of the bull and the next 3 were all touching at 50 yds. I drifted the front sight to adjust the windage and it hits within a 2" bull at 50 yds.. When the barrel heats up it tends to string vertically, but if I wait 5 minutes between rounds I can place 5 shots in the bull. Tomorrow I'll try it at 100 yds. I am expecting 2-4" groups. I guess this isn't bad for an 80 yr. old battle rifle...reloads will probablt tighten up the groups substantially. At least for hunting it should be "minute of deer".

Old 04-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #29

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

congrats on the on bullseye..kill
thats good shooting...well better than me anyways...and your talking 29years old ammo!

out of the 5 mosins i have only one of them will group like that with surplus ammo...@60yrds...wish i had a longer range!

well keep us posted on what it can do @100yrds

Old 04-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
congrats on the on bullseye..kill
thats good shooting...well better than me anyways...and your talking 29years old ammo!

out of the 5 mosins i have only one of them will group like that with surplus ammo...@60yrds...wish i had a longer range!

well keep us posted on what it can do @100yrds

Thanks M72 - I do have a 150 yd. range, but today I just wanted to see what the gun was capable of before I go introducing "human error" caused by my 52 yr. old eyes at 100 yds...all of my other guns have either peep sights or scopes on them now. I'll try it tomorrow, if it doesn't rain, at 100 yds. It sucks getting old!