Moisin Nagant Mod.91/30 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Moisin Nagant Mod.91/30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
These rifles are one of the best kept secrets of the gun world. I have an M91/30, and it shoots great.

I have been using 185 grain loads, and they are pretty accurate. I have not tried the 147 grainers yet, but I plan on it. Get as much surplus ammo as you can while it's still cheap.

Tip: Clean all the cosmo off your rifle before shooting it, if you can. Be sure to scrub the chamber area very well. A slightly fouled chamber area is usually responsible for making the bolt "sticky" during operation.

Enjoy your rifle.
Thanks for the tip SGt. My bolt was dripping cosmoline. I will probably soak it in kerosene overnight before I shoot it. So far I've seen 150gr. 180 gr, and 203 gr. ammo. Not knowing the rate of twist it's hard to guess which weight bullet is best. I would imagine that the 203 gr. would kick like a mo fo since the gun is so light.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Welcome to the world of ammo history lessons.

+1 on what Sgt. Miller said. I would buy varieties, KEEP THEM SEPERATE, and decide which round works best for you. You're gonna have to do some research on individual lot specs, since alot of times, anything on a box is in another language. If there's anything on there at all.

You can do some research online for countries of origin based on headstamps, bullet composition (alot of this is steel core, some is steel jacket, check it out with a magnet), but this is actually alot of fun, it's like history that goes bang.
Great idea with the magnet! I just hope this 7.62 x 54 stuff is made better than the 7.62 x 39 CRAP. I have an arsenal "new" Yugo SKS that doesn't group worth a sh!t. I know it can't be the gun, as I see no obvios defects in the bore or crown. I'm ready to order dies and roll my own, cause if I can't get it to shoot accurately it's gonna be sold as scrap!

Old 04-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I had and sold an M38 and now have an M91/59. I plan on adding a 91/30 at some point for the advantage of the longer barrel.

Mosin's are robust and dependable rifles. They are battle rifle accurate, not tack drivers. Ammunition is relatively inexpensive and generally corrosive. So clean your rifle well after shooting.

Because of the use of corrosive ammunition and lack of maintenance, many have poor barrels and are sloppy-loose. A good one, and they're out there if you search, can be a great rifle.

I'm no expert by any means, but am somewhat knowledgeable about them and enjoy shooting mine.

There is a Mosin Nagant forum somewhere, but Surplus Rifle Forum is my favorite site for info on any milsurp rifle. Here's a link:

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

Enjoy your Mosin.
Thanks CA. Mine seems to be in excellent condition with no scratches or dings in the wood and a "1929" Date stamp on top of the hex receiver. The numbers match on the magazine, bolt, receiver and butt plate. The bore looks bright and has deep rifling grooves. I don't have a borescope so I can't tell if the throat is erroded. The bolt locks up tight and is quite stiff. The only thing wrong is the bayonet they shipped doesn't push down far enough to engage the slot for the front sight. But I don't plan on stabbing anyone with the bayonet....

Old 04-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
As the guys have said- they are cheap and a lot of fun. DO scrub the daylights out of the chamber- I use a shotgun brush with some Hoppes and a drill (about 30 seconds worth) Read the articles over at surplusrifle, especially the one on improving the trigger pull.

Most of the Commie milsurp ammo will be corrosive- so DO take time to wash bore out after shooting. I have a pad for big vise on workbench- place rifle muzzle down at a 45 degree angle, put bucket under muzzle- pour quart of HOT water thru bore (dime store plastic funnel helps) dab of Dawn dish dtergent on bore brush, scrub bore, pour another quart of HOT water down bore (notice it is all going in the bucket?) let drain, dry patch, oily patch, wipe off bolt, and your done. 5 minutes, tops. Leave bolt out until bore dries from heat.
Very informative C3 , thank you - this is what I do with my muzzleloaders also. And you touched on something I noticed immediately - the trigger pull sucks! I will will check out Surplusrifle for the article - thanks!

Old 04-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado S14 View Post
I have two of them, I originally purchased a 1932 hex reciever and loved it so I picked up a round reciever model too. I have yet to shoot the round, but the barrel looks about the same as the hex and that gun could probably out shoot me. At 100yds I was getting 5" iron sight groups I can only imagine what it would be like with a PE scope.

As for cleaning the mil surp ammo I reccomend buying some ammonia based window cleaner like windex and just spraying that down the barrel and brushing it out then clean it like normal.
Your 1932 sounds like a good match for my 1929. I was hoping for better than 5" groups, as I have several WWII bolt guns that do quite a bit better than 5", particularly my FR-8. But that has peep sights...

Old 04-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
+7 to what everone has said...tap water works great on that salty primer residue...but yeck yeah 99.00 bucks is good for a hex receiver..i paid 120.00 for the last or say 5th one i bought....aim had them for 89.00 a little while back..and still has the round receivers for 79.00...& 880rds of 7.62x51 for 150.00 bucks...i've grabbed up a few cases...want find it nowhere cheaper...i'm thinking more people are after the hex styles for some reason???
I ordered 200 rds. of 148 gr. FMJ's from AIM just to see how they shoot. They had 880rd. cases of it for $150, but I really want to find the soft point stuff for hunting next fall. I also want to see what this rifle prefers in terms of bullet weight before I buy 800 rds. I made this mistake with my SKS and ended up with 700 rds. of cheap crap that doesn't group worth a damn.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I ordered 200 rds. of 148 gr. FMJ's from AIM just to see how they shoot. They had 880rd. cases of it for $150, but I really want to find the soft point stuff for hunting next fall. I also want to see what this rifle prefers in terms of bullet weight before I buy 800 rds. I made this mistake with my SKS and ended up with 700 rds. of cheap crap that doesn't group worth a damn.

One thing I always respected about you Marine was that you are CRAZY THOROUGH when it comes to your firearms.

I still have a spot reserved behind the lines for you brother. It's great to have you back on the forum.

JD

Old 04-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
One thing I always respected about you Marine was that you are CRAZY THOROUGH when it comes to your firearms.

I still have a spot reserved behind the lines for you brother. It's great to have you back on the forum.

JD
Hey JD!! Thanks buddy, I'm not all that thorough in other aspects of my life, but my rifles ARE my life. While discussing my "Last Will and Testament" with my brother once, he summed it up rather well when he told me " The guns MUST survive". I don't give a damn if the State comes in and takes everything else I own, my son WILL inherit my firearms and he WILL pass them on to his son some day! I have NEVER sold a gun. I am going downstate next week to pick up a safe that belonged to my Dad. He died and I am taking possession of HIS guns. One of them is an unfired Smith Corona 1903A3 Springfield. I always drooled over that gun growing up, and now it will be mine, although I truly wish it wasn't under the current circumstances. And once again I will state to you JD, I would be HONORED to stand by you in ANY conflict brother!

Last edited by RL357Mag; 04-10-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:16 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Incidentally, has anyone here tried those $49 scope mounting kits with the bent bolt conversions for the 91/30?

Old 04-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Incidentally, has anyone here tried those $49 scope mounting kits with the bent bolt conversions for the 91/30?
I've got a 1944 x-sniper and I've toyed with the idea of installing a scope but I'd probably just put one on with the scout rail you can buy to install in place of the rear sight. I've heard they work fairly well with a long eye relief pistol scope. But mine shoots so well at 100 yards with just the iron sights I haven't bothered.

The 147 grain Czech blue boxes seem to work about the best in mine. So I just ordered a 440 round can of them yesterday.

One thing that helped a lot was a slip on recoil pad from Butler Creek (medium size). That absorbs all the punch and I shoot about 60 rounds twice a week.

First post here and so it was nice to talk about one of my favorite guns.

See you all around.

These were my first targets at 100 yards with my 91/30.

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.”

That was over 30 years ago in a movie about a place that doesn't exist. Now it perfectly describes what is left of our nations capital.
----------------------------------
- S&W M&P 9
- S&W 22A
- Mosin Nagant 91/30 x-sniper 1944
- Remington 870 Express synthetic
- 1851 Colt .44 Reproduction
----------------------------------