Moisin Nagant Mod.91/30
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Moisin Nagant Mod.91/30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Moisin Nagant Mod.91/30

For ****z and giggles I bought a hex receivered 91/30 with a 1929 date. It was only $99. It is in excellent condition with bright bore and well defined rifling. I was wondering if anyone here has one, and how accurate they are. I have to wait at least two weeks for the ammo to arrive. I ordered some cheap Hungarian 147gr. FMJ's and was also wondering what type and weight ammo is the most accurate?

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

These rifles are one of the best kept secrets of the gun world. I have an M91/30, and it shoots great.

I have been using 185 grain loads, and they are pretty accurate. I have not tried the 147 grainers yet, but I plan on it. Get as much surplus ammo as you can while it's still cheap.

Tip: Clean all the cosmo off your rifle before shooting it, if you can. Be sure to scrub the chamber area very well. A slightly fouled chamber area is usually responsible for making the bolt "sticky" during operation.

Enjoy your rifle.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Welcome to the world of ammo history lessons.

+1 on what Sgt. Miller said. I would buy varieties, KEEP THEM SEPERATE, and decide which round works best for you. You're gonna have to do some research on individual lot specs, since alot of times, anything on a box is in another language. If there's anything on there at all.

You can do some research online for countries of origin based on headstamps, bullet composition (alot of this is steel core, some is steel jacket, check it out with a magnet), but this is actually alot of fun, it's like history that goes bang.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had and sold an M38 and now have an M91/59. I plan on adding a 91/30 at some point for the advantage of the longer barrel.

Mosin's are robust and dependable rifles. They are battle rifle accurate, not tack drivers. Ammunition is relatively inexpensive and generally corrosive. So clean your rifle well after shooting.

Because of the use of corrosive ammunition and lack of maintenance, many have poor barrels and are sloppy-loose. A good one, and they're out there if you search, can be a great rifle.

I'm no expert by any means, but am somewhat knowledgeable about them and enjoy shooting mine.

There is a Mosin Nagant forum somewhere, but Surplus Rifle Forum is my favorite site for info on any milsurp rifle. Here's a link:

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

Enjoy your Mosin.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9399 Times on 4051 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

As the guys have said- they are cheap and a lot of fun. DO scrub the daylights out of the chamber- I use a shotgun brush with some Hoppes and a drill (about 30 seconds worth) Read the articles over at surplusrifle, especially the one on improving the trigger pull.

Most of the Commie milsurp ammo will be corrosive- so DO take time to wash bore out after shooting. I have a pad for big vise on workbench- place rifle muzzle down at a 45 degree angle, put bucket under muzzle- pour quart of HOT water thru bore (dime store plastic funnel helps) dab of Dawn dish dtergent on bore brush, scrub bore, pour another quart of HOT water down bore (notice it is all going in the bucket?) let drain, dry patch, oily patch, wipe off bolt, and your done. 5 minutes, tops. Leave bolt out until bore dries from heat.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #6

I have two of them, I originally purchased a 1932 hex reciever and loved it so I picked up a round reciever model too. I have yet to shoot the round, but the barrel looks about the same as the hex and that gun could probably out shoot me. At 100yds I was getting 5" iron sight groups I can only imagine what it would be like with a PE scope.

As for cleaning the mil surp ammo I reccomend buying some ammonia based window cleaner like windex and just spraying that down the barrel and brushing it out then clean it like normal.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I use Windex (with ammonia) on a couple of patches, then a good swabbing with Break Free, and I get a super shine.

I clean immediately after the range, as I let it go till the next day one time, and had rust. Something in the primers draws moisture like a magnet.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #8

Windex, or rather ammonia, does nothing for removing the corrosive salts. Thats what the water does. The ammonia works on the copper. Pretty expensive way to clean salts out when plain old tap water works fine.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #9

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

+7 to what everone has said...tap water works great on that salty primer residue...but heck yeah 99.00 bucks is good for a hex receiver..i paid 120.00 for the last or say 5th one i bought....aim had them for 89.00 a little while back..and still has the round receivers for 79.00...& 880rds of 7.62x54r for 150.00 bucks...i've grabbed up a few cases...want find it nowhere cheaper...i'm thinking more people are after the hex styles for some reason???

Last edited by m72law; 04-11-2009 at 01:36 AM.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9399 Times on 4051 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

The hex shaped receiver was REPORTEDLY stronger than the round ones.