Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Modern Made Mosin Nagant Bent Bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20840 Times on 11848 Posts
Likes Given: 52360

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Jay- please understand I am NOT talking down to you- but the mention of swapping bolts from one rifle to another- do you understand about headspacing on a rifle bolt?
that's a good point as well. would there be a problem with headspacing on a Mosin by swapping the bolts?

i see where C3 is coming from and it does seem to be something that should be considered. headspace on a firearm is very important and i should have thought about it as well.

very good catch C3!

Old 09-01-2013, 02:10 AM   #12

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Yes I do and if the bolt was to be switched from rifle to rifle the head space is a major issue. I don't Recommend anyone change a rifle bolt and shoot it without checking headspace. Now lets say I have a normal mosin rifle and I took the newly made bolt and placed the Russian made bolt head on the newly made bolt would that correct the headspace?

I also want to state that for this project I appreciate the criticism, it will only lead to a better product.

Join The NRA And Protect Our Rights

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 02:12 AM   #13

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Sounds like a great idea.

I think we all are waiting for a price, here.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8592 Times on 3726 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

Jay- no-it would not. You have to look at everything from the lockup point on the bolt to the face of the bolt, as any difference in length will affect headspace. One of the reason for serially numbered bolts was to keep THE bolt with THE rifle.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

dteed4094 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #15

Like I said I want it as inexpensive as can be. I just realized that it would be best to sell just the bolt body. the spring, firing pin, and bolt head would be supplied from the rifle the new bolt would be going on. I would have the whole bolt assembly for sale as a option

Old 09-01-2013, 02:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Jay- no-it would not. You have to look at everything from the lockup point on the bolt to the face of the bolt, as any difference in length will affect headspace. One of the reason for serially numbered bolts was to keep THE bolt with THE rifle.
Ok, I will look into some options I have to fix the headspace issue. If someone was to purchase it and the headspace was unsafe I would gladly issue a full refund

Old 09-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #17

Okay I believe I have come up with a solution.. I will measure the headspace of say 20 mosin nagants and come up with an average headspace measurement and manufacture the bolt with that measurement this way there is a good chance the bolt headspace will be safe and if for some reason it isn't I will refund the purchase. Does that make sense?

Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #18

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Do you intend to refund a damaged face and missing eyes?

Not saying you have a bad idea at all. But I think you need to refine it a little. Do a little more research and really brainstorm this.

Think there may be a way to build one with a readily field adjustable head space? You would be well placed to also sell head space gauges.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5453 Times on 2846 Posts
Likes Given: 350

The bolt body is a different part than the bolt. Swapping handles will not effect head space so long as the same bolt head is kept with its matching chamber.

Check my writeup on detailed mosin bolt assembly dissassembly.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-91-30-bolt-dissassembly-reassembly-59340/

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-01-2013, 04:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
The bolt body is a different part than the bolt. Swapping handles will not effect head space so long as the same bolt head is kept with its matching chamber.

Check my writeup on detailed mosin bolt assembly dissassembly.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-91-30-bolt-dissassembly-reassembly-59340/
That is exactly what I thought because the bolt head has the locking lugs that would ultimately effect headspace. I have a meeting set with a gunsmith and I will have a answer to this headspace issue.

Please keep in mind I would never sell anything unless I was 100% sure the product was safe.

People Like This