Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Modern Made Mosin Nagant Bent Bolt (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/modern-made-mosin-nagant-bent-bolt-96343/)

JayCody 09-01-2013 01:32 AM

With my Company I have been working on a U.S. Made Modern Mosin Nagant Bolt with a bent handle for quite some time and I am wondering if anyone would Purchase it if I were to Invest in the Tooling to manufacture it.
The bolt assembly is made of 4140 Steel and features a bent handle. One of the biggest upsides of this bolt would be that it is made of a solid piece of steel, unlike the other bent bolts on the market.

Axxe55 09-01-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayCody (Post 1353410)
With my Company I have been working on a U.S. Made Modern Mosin Nagant Bolt with a bent handle for quite some time and I am wondering if anyone would Purchase it if I were to Invest in the Tooling to manufacture it.
The bolt assembly is made of 4140 Steel and features a bent handle. One of the biggest upsides of this bolt would be that it is made of a solid piece of steel, unlike the other bent bolts on the market.

welcome to the forum and stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone and share a little about yourself.

do you have any pictures of your product? sounds like an interesting project and might be a nice item to sell.

JayCody 09-01-2013 01:41 AM

No I don't have any pictures yet, I'm working with a manufacturer and I hope to have some prototypes for anyone who wants to test them.

Axxe55 09-01-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayCody (Post 1353429)
No I don't have any pictures yet, I'm working with a manufacturer and I hope to have some prototypes for anyone who wants to test them.

i think it's a rather interesting idea and has some merit as many people that buy Mosins, like to mount scopes on them and a bent bolt is pretty much needed if mounting the scope in the traditional place on the reciever.

another one i have seen is the one where you cut off the bolt handle and drill and tap it for an new bolt hand that attaches with screws. very cheesy looking.

wish you luck and show us some of the prototypes if possible to gain a better idea as to how you are doing it differently. very interested.

akms47nagont 09-01-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayCody
No I don't have any pictures yet, I'm working with a manufacturer and I hope to have some prototypes for anyone who wants to test them.

Around what price range
I'll test one for you
I would also recommend researching that in case you were accidentally making a duplicate


But for the right price under maybe $80 I would definitely purchase one

akms47nagont 09-01-2013 01:51 AM

Have you considered contacting a blacksmith having him modify the current bolts into bent bolts Especially for those with matching serial numbers

just a thought

Axxe55 09-01-2013 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akms47nagont (Post 1353444)
Have you considered contacting a blacksmith having him modify the current bolts into bent bolts Especially for those with matching serial numbers

just a thought

good thought, but if the gun is a serial number matching rifle, it might be better to modify another bolt as when the original bolt is bent, the value just went down, regardless of it being a number matching unit.

JayCody 09-01-2013 01:53 AM

That brought me to another problem. The price... I don't plan on making much money on this as it is just a hobby. My idea was that people would only need one and could use it with each of their mosin rifles. I also feel it would outlast the original mosin bolts making it worth the money.

JayCody 09-01-2013 01:56 AM

And good point if a mosin nagant bolt is modified the value is gone. With this bolt you wouldn't need to worry about ruining the value of the firearm

c3shooter 09-01-2013 02:02 AM

Jay- please understand I am NOT talking down to you- but the mention of swapping bolts from one rifle to another- do you understand about headspacing on a rifle bolt?


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:03 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.