Mitchell's Mausers question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mitchell's Mausers question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxImpactGuns View Post
you were smart staying away from them if you want any value to it. The only thing they have going for them is they're pretty good shooters. i'll leave it at that! Look at some of the originals for sale @ JacksonArmory.com

they're pricy but boy are they gorgeous!
T/Y my freind ya get what ya pay for i agree ill check it out thanx again.Like i said on the web site mm has what looks like gorgeous rifle,s but unfortunatley a lot like to take advantage of people who do not know what to look for .I was seriously considering them for a german sniper i bought a chech brno 98 ill build my own .

Old 04-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #12

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurpshooter60 View Post
T/Y my freind ya get what ya pay for i agree ill check it out thanx again.Like i said on the web site mm has what looks like gorgeous rifle,s but unfortunatley a lot like to take advantage of people who do not know what to look for .I was seriously considering them for a german sniper i bought a chech brno 98 ill build my own .
If you want the correct parts, let me know.
The incorrect part is the trigger gaurd. It is what would tell a collector it is not 100% original.

Need to be Honest. I could get the original and correct trigger gaurd and bottom metal, but that would not be right.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 04-17-2013 at 11:37 PM.
cottontop Likes This 
Old 04-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #13

That is exact same rifle i have are those the turret mounts and ring,s from the accumounts?I kinda like the swept back looking ones from accumounts .but ill take what i can get if the price is right.Thing is i only want to do it once and right first time.what part,s do you have my freind?or where did you get those mount,s and scope?

Old 04-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurpshooter60 View Post
well they've all been pretty much modern day re-arsenaled IMO. If I wanted that I would just do it myself. My dad has re-finished two stocks on 2 of my 6 k98's and they look great! They had a darker bluing and it makes them standout alot. I should take some pictures and post them. But I think that needs to goto another thread.

All guns are created equal

Old 04-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
If you want the correct parts, let me know.
The incorrect part is the trigger gaurd. It is what would tell a collector it is not 100% original.

Need to be Honest. I could get the original and correct trigger gaurd and bottom metal, but that would not be right.
I could spot that one from a mile away LOL!! Also scope is not a Zeiss which was what the snipers used. They did however have a larger trigger guard to allow easy firing in the winters with winter gloves on. I have a book on K98's which covers the entire history of the rifle. All the variants and what not. I paid around $80 for the book. It's called "Back Bone of the Wehrmacht". Definitely worth it if you plan on collecting. I've been searching tirelessly for an SS stamp but they're so hard to come by and at least several thousand for one. Also something of that magnitude would require and physical inspection as there are probably some fakes circulating around as originals.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #16

Liked 2544 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

I have mixed feelings towards them.

I collect Milsurp, but I love shooting.

I've been lucky, as far as getting decent

rifles which have matching serials. Such as with my

M/Ns and SKSs.

I have a few great shooters with all matching serials, so

maybe it doesn't matter so much, at least to me.

I recently acquired an AR15 which is made by Colt, and

looks exactly like an M16A2. Am I going to obsess over the fact

it's not actually an army issue? No, I'm just deliriously happy it shoots

well. From a shooter's point of view, I'd rather have a Mitchell which

is complete, looks great, and shoots well, than spend 5X as much for a greasy

old Mauser, with a corroded old barrel, in fair condition, that's "authentic"...

Last edited by therewolf; 04-21-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Milsurpshooter60 Likes This 
Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #17

Agreed i just spent a month worrying about shooting an unissed n5mk1 and some collecter purist beating the value up because i shoot it ,i like redoing them myself , and am a disabled retired vet now so my wallet just cant get me 100% authentic all the time on my milsurps, some are all maTching but i still love shooting them some are not , my point is , you are still shooting history and and when you restore them or sporterize them to what you want ,it becomes more of a part of you and the personality you have ,I love mint unissued so called real collecters as well when i can afford them , but regardless when i do them myself they always tend to draw a crowd at range and shoot straight that is all i care about more than is it all matching and so highly prized it just sits.to me it is about firing historical rifles which are still in working condition and working 70 yrs later.Something to be said about takeing a 70 yr old rifle into woods and harvesting wild game that gets my blood circulating .Adrenelane is an addictive chemical lol.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #18

Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

If you are looking for a "shooter" consider a Finn M-39. They were produced by the thousands, not the millions, and are sure to gain in value. They shoot as well or better than any WWII era bolt action rifle. They have a great history, and they cost in the $350.00 range. For a few bucks more, you can buy one that is in un-issued condition, and is all original. These rifles are also available in antique dates and, therefore, available for purchase online without any FFL. These shoot the 7.54 x 54R ammo which is in the same power range as a .308/30.06, and is available and cheap by comparison.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #19

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Those Swiss rifles are pretty nice looking too! I've been considering one of those. I see everyone's point on the issue of originality. Most of the time you're going to find a nice rifle with a decent barrel so accuracy was never really lost. I just can't argue the fact that the German people make amazing stuff. Guns, knives, cars, electronics. I hate to say this but most of my firearms are not made in USA. There is also a reason the modern bolt action is based on the Mauser design. And they're out lasting time right now with the right care!