Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Mitchell's Mausers question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mitchells-mausers-question-86989/)

TheDesertFox 03-20-2013 12:21 PM

Mitchell's Mausers question

I'm looking to by a K98k from MM, but I've heard some bad things about them. Are they really that bad? Does anyone have experiance with them? I am mainly looking for a rifle to shpot with that looks good, but it doesn't have to be in pristine condition. Are there any alternatives to MM ( not gunshows)

TheDesertFox 03-20-2013 12:22 PM

*to shoot with

zaitsev44 03-20-2013 12:33 PM

Well if all you want is a shooter than they're good, but most if not all the historical value is gone. They sand the stock down and refinish it, the strip the metal and reblue it, the grind off the numbers and forge new ones just to "make it match", and they put fake markings and stamps on it. But hey, a Mauser is still a Mauser at heart and they function good just as good as a vet bring back Mauser, so go ahead, but if you want it for the historical significance then keep looking. I was going to buy a Yugo M48 Mauser from a guy who was selling it and the crest was completely gone, the stock was soft an the metal looked absolutely new, I passed on it.

TheDesertFox 03-20-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaitsev44 (Post 1183490)
Well if all you want is a shooter than they're good, but most if not all the historical value is gone. They sand the stock down and refinish it, the strip the metal and reblue it, the grind off the numbers and forge new ones just to "make it match", and they put fake markings and stamps on it. But hey, a Mauser is still a Mauser at heart and they function good just as good as a vet bring back Mauser, so go ahead, but if you want it for the historical significance then keep looking. I was going to buy a Yugo M48 Mauser from a guy who was selling it and the crest was completely gone, the stock was soft an the metal looked absolutely new, I passed on it.

Hmmm ok. Thanks for the advice

jpattersonnh 03-26-2013 10:22 PM

I know it is late in the game, but I've read this a few times and I'll give my take on Mitchells Mausers. They are a fraud. They were selling WWII Yugo 24/47's on their site. Only one problem. Production on the 24/47 started in 1947, 2 years after the war ended. They put together guns, restamp parts and charge stupid high prices for them. They have 0 value to anyone that is looking for the real deal. You can still get a really nice original 24/47 from Samco for 269.00. Great shooters.

MaxImpactGuns 03-28-2013 10:40 PM

I would agree MM is a total ripoff. I've got all original k98's. two of them i've refinished the stocks and brought some life back into them the way they were issued during the war. The other few I have I've just cleaned and removed all the cosmoline. I have ONE vet bring back that does not have all matching numbers but doesn't have imported markings. They're the best bolt action you could own IMO. Look online. Jackson Armory in Dallas, Tx has them from time to time and all original. The matching '98's are over $1000 but you're paying for a piece of priceless history. Good luck!

Milsurpshooter60 04-17-2013 10:07 AM

Well glad i never bought a mitchell then.:confused:

jpattersonnh 04-17-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milsurpshooter60 (Post 1216654)

You just recommended one on another thread.

Milsurpshooter60 04-17-2013 02:17 PM

Was before i read this one my man i never ordered from em they look nice in the pic,s,Was trying to help did that become a crime?I went on their website and they looked tremendous all i know ,Did not see this thread get ya answer?:p if not well do not know what to tell ya and i did not say order it ,i said give em a look, they looked good to me.Happy now? jeez.Guess some just like making wise remark,s .

MaxImpactGuns 04-17-2013 10:16 PM

yep

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milsurpshooter60 (Post 1216654)

you were smart staying away from them if you want any value to it. The only thing they have going for them is they're pretty good shooters. i'll leave it at that! Look at some of the originals for sale @ JacksonArmory.com

they're pricy but boy are they gorgeous!