Mint no5 jungle carbine ,should i fire it??????
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mint no5 jungle carbine ,should i fire it??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Mint no5 jungle carbine ,should i fire it??????

Here is my recently aquired no5mk1 jungle carbine.I got this at an estate sale in march.I am pretty sure i am only one knew what it was that was that was there.350.00 ,I want to fire this rifle badly ,but it seems unfired and new, has no import markings anywhere on rifle ,every number on stock and rifle match,i have removed handguard and flutes are there.If i fire it will it lose value? Can anyone tell if it is unfired?HELPPP it is killing me not to fire this brute lol.I am pretty sure it is the shirley model, every thing is 100%correct on this rifle.any help would be greatly appreciated.

001.jpg   003.jpg   006.jpg   007.jpg   009.jpg  

012.jpg   013.jpg   015.jpg   018.jpg   022.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #2

Here are a few others. it does have the correct 800 meter grad sights. Hard to get them on cam . The markings on front are not import ,says 303 and tonage .which are supposed to be there from what i have seen.

002.jpg   021.jpg   019.jpg  

Old 04-21-2013, 12:20 AM   #3

BTW i put the green on front sight post so i could see it if i fire it ,comes off easily.I am so tempted to take it range .if i fire it and it was never fired besides test fire at arsenal,how much value will it lose???And how do verify if it has been fired anyone know what to look for?

Old 04-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you buy the rifle to shoot or to be a safe queen do you ever intend to sell it? it is your rifle to do with as you please

Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8885 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Since all Enfields were test fired at the arsenal, there is no such critter as an unfired. Unused, unissued, sure. Unfired, no.

However, since you have now taken photos of it, the camera absorbed some of the light reflected by the stock, and values have dropped hugely. I could probably see my way clear to send you $50 for it- if you will pay the shipping.....

Seriously, value will drop due to dings, scratches and wear. Treat it with care, clean it gently, should not matter that you shoot it.

DO be aware that the lightening cuts on the rear of the barrel are alleged to have cursed those with a condition called "Wandering Zero"- and that the muzzle flash is only a tad less than that of a naval 16 inch gun.

Would I shoot it? Oh HELL yeah!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 04-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #6

Liked 740 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Shoot it, shoot it!!

Old 04-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Since all Enfields were test fired at the arsenal, there is no such critter as an unfired. Unused, unissued, sure. Unfired, no.

However, since you have now taken photos of it, the camera absorbed some of the light reflected by the stock, and values have dropped hugely. I could probably see my way clear to send you $50 for it- if you will pay the shipping.....

Seriously, value will drop due to dings, scratches and wear. Treat it with care, clean it gently, should not matter that you shoot it.

DO be aware that the lightening cuts on the rear of the barrel are alleged to have cursed those with a condition called "Wandering Zero"- and that the muzzle flash is only a tad less than that of a naval 16 inch gun.

Would I shoot it? Oh HELL yeah!
lol That was funny 50 huh damn ., what i was thinking ill never run corrosive through it anyway,is a hard 1 not to want to shoot ,as little as i will use it doubt i have a prob with wandering zero , i just love shooting history ,have to say cleanest n05 i ever seen .And recoil lol BRING IT i l,ike it rough
why i shoot high powers hehe.

Last edited by Milsurpshooter60; 04-21-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by selector67 View Post
Did you buy the rifle to shoot or to be a safe queen do you ever intend to sell it? it is your rifle to do with as you please
na ill never sell it but my son when i pass lol.Ill never make it anyway's
damn thing is talking to me .choot choot lool.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8185

My take on this.

Shoot the rifle! Why have it if it never gets fired? I have only 1 mil-surp that I have not fired yet. It is an early WWII Arisaka type 99. The one and only reason it has not been out to the range yet is that i am still waiting on my order of 7.7 to come in. Once that package gets here, game on!

treat it gently, and keep it clean. And remember, the best way to respect those who carried that rifle (or carbine) before you IS to take it out and shoot it. No gun ever did anything to deserve the disgrace of only being a cabinet queen.

BTW MS60, she is a beaut.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8885 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Seriusly, that is a BEAUTIFUL carbine. Congrats.

Take her to the range, shoot, clean, and then raise a glass of Bass & Co, and toast the health of Her Majesty, HRH Queen Elizabeth II. It was her rifle, after all!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.