You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

Military Rifle in 7x57 Suggestion?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Great Falls,MT
Posts: 44
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Don't waste you money on a Model 93 or 95 Mauser. If you must have a 7MM, spend the money and get a Model 1908 Brazilian mauser. If you resell it, it will have a much better resale value than the others.
musketshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chainfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,943
Liked 3360 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Default

I know this is not what you were asking, but if you went with 7.62 x 54R, you could buy a decent, factory refurbed rifle and 880 rounds of ammo for $300.00. (for both!)
__________________
"It is not so much staying alive, it is staying human that is important."

George Orwell
Chainfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,845
Liked 4612 Times on 2653 Posts
Likes Given: 1200

Default

My grandmother's deer rifle is a '95 Mauser. It's a gentle shooter. But needs to use factory ammo or lower pressure reloads. Kind of like a slightly flatter shooting .30-30 with better sectional density and ballistic coefficient. If you could find a '98 action rifle chambered in 7x57mm you can use high pressure loads that really wring more performance out of the round.
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,362
Liked 868 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
My grandmother's deer rifle is a '95 Mauser. It's a gentle shooter. But needs to use factory ammo or lower pressure reloads. Kind of like a slightly flatter shooting .30-30 with better sectional density and ballistic coefficient. If you could find a '98 action rifle chambered in 7x57mm you can use high pressure loads that really wring more performance out of the round.
That is an old wives tale. The Boers used 1893 Mauser and were shooting Brit soldiers out to 500 yards w/ open sights. Sure you can hot rod a '98 action, but at what cost? The SD and BC make even in a moderate load a great 300 yard hunter. Hmm, .30-30 is a 150 yard rifle at best. The 7x57, 300 yards. BS.
__________________
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.
jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 3-P
Posts: 4,410
Liked 1521 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 1542

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I know this is not what you were asking, but if you went with 7.62 x 54R, you could buy a decent, factory refurbed rifle and 880 rounds of ammo for $300.00. (for both!)
I already have a Mosin...
I if I were to get another 7.62x54, it would be a Winchester 1895 or a SVD, and Im not close to being able to afford one of them yet!!!

I think the one I seen in the LGS was a Mexican 1910 Mauser?
__________________
Quote:
...... I suffer from a very rare genetic defect that causes me to be sympathetic toward the International cause. There is no cure.
Trez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,845
Liked 4612 Times on 2653 Posts
Likes Given: 1200

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
That is an old wives tale. The Boers used 1893 Mauser and were shooting Brit soldiers out to 500 yards w/ open sights. Sure you can hot rod a '98 action, but at what cost? The SD and BC make even in a moderate load a great 300 yard hunter. Hmm, .30-30 is a 150 yard rifle at best. The 7x57, 300 yards. BS.
Rereading my post I can see it would be confusing. I didn't mean it was ballistic ally the same as a .30-30 but it is a gentle kicking rifle like a .30-30.

It is also flatter shooting than a .30-30 which is a benefit.

Factory Remington and US factory ammo is loaded short of the rounds potential. The reason they claim for doing so is the many other actions out there.

If I wanted to really work up loads or fees the gun a steady diet of hotter loads, I'd still go with a '98 action.

My grandmother's '95 has been run on factory ammo for the last few decades and is still a very good shooter. I do find it a very pleasant rifle to shoot compared to a Mosin Nagant or an Enfield.

Sorry I'd I rushed in my earlier post and made it confusing.
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Houston,texas
Posts: 342
Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Hmmm, perhaps a Brasil model 1908 98 mauser in 7x57. One of these you should be able to find for a reasonable price. Have one myself and while I do not shoot it often (have lots of other rifles to shoot), its a decent rifle that shoots well. By the way, 7x57 cartridge and its little brothers, the 6mm Remington and the 257Roberts are some of my favorites to shoot.
huffmanite is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
xring3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: from Kansas City now in Woodward,oklahoma
Posts: 190
Liked 38 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

If memory serves me correctly, I bought a 7mm Mauser from SOG a while back.
__________________
"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling
xring3 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,362
Liked 868 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 979

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Rereading my post I can see it would be confusing. I didn't mean it was ballistic ally the same as a .30-30 but it is a gentle kicking rifle like a .30-30.

It is also flatter shooting than a .30-30 which is a benefit.

Factory Remington and US factory ammo is loaded short of the rounds potential. The reason they claim for doing so is the many other actions out there.

If I wanted to really work up loads or fees the gun a steady diet of hotter loads, I'd still go with a '98 action.

My grandmother's '95 has been run on factory ammo for the last few decades and is still a very good shooter. I do find it a very pleasant rifle to shoot compared to a Mosin Nagant or an Enfield.

Sorry I'd I rushed in my earlier post and made it confusing.
I don't think the 91/30 or Enfield are hard recoiling by any means, but I understand what you mean. I love my 1896 and 1938 Swedes, even my small ring '98 action in 6.5x55. You can shoot them all day. There is a certain comfort zone w/ an accurate light recoiling rifle that packs a good punch.
Sorry, I had to go back to a book I have that talks about Bell and his Africian hunts. He loved that 7x57.
__________________
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.
jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Salem,Oregon
Posts: 1,524
Liked 973 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 1712

Default My 7x57 Mauser

Is a Belgian FN Mauser. I see them for around $200. quality compares to the Sweede Mausers. (IMHO)
Mongo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Military rifle identification/help xtrymefire General Rifle Discussion 7 02-26-2012 12:02 AM
7x57 Mauser cottontop Ammunition & Reloading 5 12-25-2011 01:48 AM
Rifle Hunting Suggestion..... chrstian_indy General Rifle Discussion 10 07-20-2011 11:43 PM
7X57 Ackley Imp McX358 Ammunition & Reloading 10 08-21-2010 04:49 PM
Rifle caliber suggestion? lonyaeger General Rifle Discussion 17 02-02-2010 04:09 PM