Mil-Surp Rifle, Enfield, Mauser, SKS, other?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mil-Surp Rifle, Enfield, Mauser, SKS, other?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Default Mil-Surp Rifle, Enfield, Mauser, SKS, other?

Alright, tomorrow I intend to pick up either a Mauser 8mm (Kar98 I hope), a British Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk.II, a CHEAP SKS, or some other comparable rifle, they will more or less be used as collectibles, shooters and the occasional deer rifle, the only reason the SKS is even listed is the fact that it is semi auto. Ammo cost is not an issue (unless it is like $1.50 a rd). Any suggestions? My budget is a strict $350, also I found 2 Enfield No 4 Mk.IIs, one is $250 and one is $325, the difference being one is good condition the latter is excellent. Does that justify the difference in price? BTW, I collect WWII items, this the reasoning for the Mil-Surps, apparently the SKS also saw VERY limited useage in 1945.

Thanks

Also, no Mosin Nagants

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

sputnik:

I have one of each of the rifles you have listed. If I was only able to purchase one, it would be the K98k. I assume that you are looking at a K98k, not the older WW1 vintage K98. But I want one of those as well. My Enfield No 4 Mk II shoots better than my k98k, but I have always loved the Mauser bolt action! But you should buy the one that your gut tells you you want the most.

TXnorton

Old 10-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #3

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

The 98k is awesome, but I doubt you'll find one other than a Russian capture at that price. Really check for bore wear at the muzzle. You may also find a Czech Brno stamped post war '98. That would be my choice. It will likely take all your funds, but Aim still has Romanian ammo fairly cheap.
The Enfield No4 MK1*, 2, 1/2, 1/3 are all great rifles, but sadly ammo is not cheap. Savage and Longbranch have the best fit and finish, The Longbranch tends to be the most accurate.
You should also keep an eye out for a Swede M96 or M38. Caliber: 6.5x55

Yugo 24/47's are a great buy and tend to be very accurate. Caliber: 8x57

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #4

My vote goes for the swedish M96 if you can find a nice one, it will be more accurate than the rest, next in line would be a nice lee enfield good guns and if they were taken care of they are great, the 98's are getting to be a bit on the iffy side but once again if you find a good one get it as it is the strongest of all of them. i have two 98's one in 458 and the other is a 8mm/06. i have a enfiled(Lee) that has been polished, beblued and a walnut monte carlo stock on it smooth as slik. Use your judgement, find what , you like and go for it.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 10-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #5

The 8mm Mauser is hard to beat. Ammo is also cheap. I would but a 98k Mauser if I had the choice. The SkS and the Enfield are good rifles. I have them all but please have the one you buy head spaced.The Endfields are easy to fix. The Mauser would be expensive to fix.

Patret

Old 10-31-2010, 01:05 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good rifles all, if in very good condition. Get into handloading, and the ammo is a nonissue - the components are all available and the loads will be much cheaper.
For a starter milsurp, I'd likely start with that excellent Enfield!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2399 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 690

$250??? I am old. I picked up a SMLE for $10 with a bunch of ammo when I was in Alaska 50 years ago. I gave it to a homesteader that was hurting and wanted to borrow a rifle. He had enough money for his license and a box of ammo and needed to get a moose to carry his family through the winter. He used it to shoot a moose and 3 caribou. Since he did not have to buy ammo, he was able to get a license for his 8 month pregnant wife and got another moose. He shared the meat with a couple of neighbors. A lot of the homesteaders back then were barely scraping by but they still helped each other out. Some of the brokest and most generous people I met.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #8

J&G has Enfield No.4 mk1s for 230-240

Last edited by flyingbrickracing; 11-01-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #9

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
$250??? I am old. I picked up a SMLE for $10 with a bunch of ammo when I was in Alaska 50 years ago. I gave it to a homesteader that was hurting and wanted to borrow a rifle. He had enough money for his license and a box of ammo and needed to get a moose to carry his family through the winter. He used it to shoot a moose and 3 caribou. Since he did not have to buy ammo, he was able to get a license for his 8 month pregnant wife and got another moose. He shared the meat with a couple of neighbors. A lot of the homesteaders back then were barely scraping by but they still helped each other out. Some of the brokest and most generous people I met.
Old is not a four letter word. I was buying and selling No4's years ago for $80.00 to 120.00 each. Vet bring back K98k's were $125.00. Arisaka 99's were $100.00, we are talking matching rifles here. We northern folks still help out our neighbors. I have an acquaintance that ran into trouble, he lost his job and needed money for the mortgage. I "bought" his Model 7 in 7-08, a rifle that he had searched for for years. I contacted everyone that I could think of that knew him. W/ $5.00 here and $10.00 there, I gave him his rifle back before Any game seasons hit.

Better be careful stating that the .303 Brit can take Caribou.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Just some more food for thought, consider an '03, an '03A3 and a 1917.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams