Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Mauser Model 98 Danzig 1917

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default Mauser Model 98 Danzig 1917

Hello. I recently adquired this rifle from a gun shop. At the beginning I didn't know what exactly it was but I kind of like it since I saw it. After some research I decided to exchange my 22 charger for it. I cleaned the rifle and found that it is not in the best conditions. I think it needs a little (lots!!!) of

The biggest issue that I found is that the firing pin is bend and depending on the angle it will not pass the aperture at the front end of the bolt.

I need to see if it can be fix by a gunsmith but I also considering buying a firing pin in good conditions or the whole bolt assembly since the one that the rifle has is not in good shape.

Any way, my question is if you know of internet site that can sell either the pin or the bolt. I visit a number of them and was not able to find one that have something used in good conditions or a new replacements that fit the that rifle.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Other question that I have is this. The stock of that rifle do not look similar to what I think is the original (sp) stock. Looks like the original stock was cut and modified to make a sporterize version of the rifle. I do see some marks that are concistent with the rest of the rifle. I'm not sure if I should try to refinish the stock, change the stock of a modern sporterize (sp) version or leave it as it is. I do know the historic value of the rifle but I don't know if it would be better to extend the life of it by modernizing it.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hey can you post picuturers

Sometimes what looks like junk is just junk.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #3

Liked 175 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Put these words into google and you will get a lot of hits:

mauser firing pin for sale

And you could look at the sites for Sarco inc and also Numrich gun parts. They do a lot with military guns.

Good luck with you new project.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner
Put these words into google and you will get a lot of hits:

mauser firing pin for sale

And you could look at the sites for Sarco inc and also Numrich gun parts. They do a lot with military guns.

Good luck with you new project.
Sarco and Numrich have the part as out of stock. I'm in there mailing list for when they have it available.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #5

Liked 671 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 675

http://www.brownells.com/items/mauser-bolt-parts.aspx

Sarco has the correct bolt, complete in stock. http://e-sarcoinc.com/search.aspx?find=MSR123

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 09-03-2012 at 07:03 PM.