Mauser Karabiner 98 (K98)
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

Mauser Karabiner 98 (K98)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mauser Karabiner 98 (K98)

Without a doubt, one of the finest firearms I have EVER fired is the Mauser K98 German infantry rifle from WWII. My buddies uncle picked one up off of the battlefield in the 40's and we are still driving tacks with it today. It's just an awesome weapon. I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on the gun. Here's a clip of the one we shoot whenever we get a chance:

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbillfromca View Post
Without a doubt, one of the finest firearms I have EVER fired is the Mauser K98 German infantry rifle from WWII. My buddies uncle picked one up off of the battlefield in the 40's and we are still driving tacks with it today. It's just an awesome weapon. I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on the gun. Here's a clip of the one we shoot whenever we get a chance:

YouTube - Mauser K98 German Battle Rifle (Karabiner 98)
I bought one several years back and put an inexpensive scope on it. I just had it zeroed (sp) in several months ago. I LOVE THAT RIFLE! There's just something about it, the bolt, the history and the way it looks. It's a lot of fun and accurate too.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:48 AM   #3

Likes Given: 1

My very first rifle was a 1944 Oberndorf Mauser 98K which I bought for a fraction of there current price. I must say it is still one of my favorites and finds its way into the back of the truck for each range visit. Left mine original and it will still shoot better than I can.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've been trying to shoot non-corrosive ammo for the most part, but it's usually expensive and hard to come by. I shot Wolf Gold and PRIVI PARTISAN, but I have about 300 rounds of Yugo corrosive too. What do you shoot?

Old 04-18-2009, 02:57 AM   #5

Likes Given: 1

Haven't shot surplus in years. Roll my own, nothing special just 44gr of IMR 4895 behind various 200gr soft points.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
JNA

When it comes to German WWII rifles, I personally prefer the semi-auto Gewehr 43, but the K98 will always have a firm position in the list of my favourite bolt-action rifles.

My godfather in Serbia [He has a wide array of rifles, pistols and snipers for hunting] has the Yugoslav version of the rifle, the M48. He has used it for over 10 years and is extremely happy with its perfomance.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #7

I just bought a nice YUGO M48 for a project rifle $150. I'm going to turn it into a scout set up. New syn stock and scope.
mss1500_01_medium.jpg  

Old 08-16-2009, 03:47 AM   #8

Likes Given: 2

The main thing I like about the 98k, at least the ones I own, are the sights. The way the inverted "arch" on the rear sight lines up with the arch on the front hood gets me on target faster than with any other Mauser.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 08-18-2009, 01:42 AM   #9

believe it or not theres on in a pawn shop a few blocks from my house. how much are they supposed to cost? i think its sticker said 300 but i'm not sure and the germans make awesome stuff great guns great cars ugh i miss germany

Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #10

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith84 View Post
believe it or not theres on in a pawn shop a few blocks from my house. how much are they supposed to cost? i think its sticker said 300 but i'm not sure and the germans make awesome stuff great guns great cars ugh i miss germany
$300 is a good price, for that money its probably a Russian re-work. Check the markings on it, if all the Nazi marks are "pinged out" its probably a Russian re-work. The Russian guns often are missing the front sight hood and cleaning rod as well. Either way, if its in good shape I'd grab it for that price.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Tags
mauser karabiner 98 k98