MAS 1936 modified
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > MAS 1936 modified

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default MAS 1936 modified

I just bought a gun (MAS 1936) at a local flea market, and the guy I bought it from said it was chambered for a 44 Special and that he shot it the day before.

After doing a little research, I found something on Wikipedia that states: "after the war, civilian hunting rifles were made by MAS and by the gunsmith, Jean Fournier. These half-stocked rifles were chambered for the 7X54 mm MAS-Fournier (common), 7X57mm (very rare), 8X60mm S (less common), and 10.75X68mm (rare). Hunting rifles in the two latter calibers had integral muzzle brakes." The end of the barrel is threaded 5/8"-18, which I assumed was for a brake, silencer or grenade launcher.

Well, the one I have is has a bore diameter of ~0.425" or 10.75mm. Is this a 44 Special? I'm now in doubt that it is, although 44's are 0.430+ in diameter. I haven't checked the chamber depth, although I have noticed that it isn't tapered, and the chamber diameter is a little more than 0.425" (I didn't bother to dig out my ID micrometer, and the accuracy I got with a pair of calipers is +/- several thousandths.)

Anyone have experience with MAS 1936 chambered in 44 cal.?

Thanks, Willie

We have met the enemy, and he is us. Walt Kelly/Pogo

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #2

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie47 View Post
I just bought a gun (MAS 1936) at a local flea market, and the guy I bought it from said it was chambered for a 44 Special and that he shot it the day before.

After doing a little research, I found something on Wikipedia that states: "after the war, civilian hunting rifles were made by MAS and by the gunsmith, Jean Fournier. These half-stocked rifles were chambered for the 7X54 mm MAS-Fournier (common), 7X57mm (very rare), 8X60mm S (less common), and 10.75X68mm (rare). Hunting rifles in the two latter calibers had integral muzzle brakes." The end of the barrel is threaded 5/8"-18, which I assumed was for a brake, silencer or grenade launcher.

Well, the one I have is has a bore diameter of ~0.425" or 10.75mm. Is this a 44 Special? I'm now in doubt that it is, although 44's are 0.430+ in diameter. I haven't checked the chamber depth, although I have noticed that it isn't tapered, and the chamber diameter is a little more than 0.425" (I didn't bother to dig out my ID micrometer, and the accuracy I got with a pair of calipers is +/- several thousandths.)

Anyone have experience with MAS 1936 chambered in 44 cal.?

Thanks, Willie
The cut stock rifles were Santa Fe "upgrades". You would need a chamber casting to be sure of what is is. I have an original 1945 L series 7.5x54. Great little rifles.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
The cut stock rifles were Santa Fe "upgrades". You would need a chamber casting to be sure of what is is. I have an original 1945 L series 7.5x54. Great little rifles.
Good idea! I'll make a chamber casting of it and "see" what it is.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #4

Post a pic!
Second from bottom in pic.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:42 AM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-19-2010, 04:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
So, whip it out!

Old 01-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #7

Haven't taken a picture yet, but I will and post it soon.
Thanks! By the way, mine has been modified/sporterized/etc. It has a threaded muzzle for a muzzle brake -- I assume, since silencers are illegal. Also, I checked the chamber, and it is chambered for a 44 Special.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:55 AM   #8

while on the topic of MAS's. I found a one of these today at my local shop: It's been reworked into a .308. The shop owner told me that the receiver is in no way shape or form, designed to take the pressure put out by a 308 shell and that it would have to be sent back east to have the receiver upgraded and sent back to be reliable. Price is 449. Worth it?

mas_49_56.jpg  

Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #9

He is correct, it is 7.62x51 nato. .308 is to high in the pressure catagory. The 49/56 is an excellent rifle. Many of them were converted an are great shooters. What does he think anyone could do to "rework" the receiver to make it stronger?? They are very strong, reliable, and accurate rifles.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotzORemmies View Post
while on the topic of MAS's. I found a one of these today at my local shop: It's been reworked into a .308. The shop owner told me that the receiver is in no way shape or form, designed to take the pressure put out by a 308 shell and that it would have to be sent back east to have the receiver upgraded and sent back to be reliable. Price is 449. Worth it?

The one I had ( w/o scope ) had been converted to 7.62 NATO by Century . Accuracy was terriable ! :-( Sold it .

God bless
Wyr