Marlin No. 24 12 Gauge, Questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Marlin No. 24 12 Gauge, Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Marlin No. 24 12 Gauge, Questions

OK guys, I have the general background. Marlin No. (Model) 24 12 gauge shotgun. I believe it was made between 1909-1910. The barrel is about 19 inches, so I assume somebody shaved her down a little? I know that some think they're a dangerous gun, but I cleaned this one and found nothing wrong with her, so I put her through her paces on the range and she was as good as our modern issued ones.
I'm looking for.....

History.
Grade.
Anything interesting.

img_2118.jpg   img_2122.jpg   img_2123.jpg   img_2124.jpg   img_2125.jpg  

img_2126.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1352 Times on 798 Posts
Likes Given: 3412

I will check my source books when I get home today. In the meantime, have you went running around the internet?

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #3

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Looks like the same as one of sons has. He's kinda a Marlin collector. The barrel on his has not been cut but otherwise looks very much like yours. Marlin did make several models that looked quite similar.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

@Blackdouglas,

Unfortunately all that I can tell you is this; the Marlin Model 24 was introduced in 1908 and discontinued in 1915. They came in four grades. If you go to your local book store and get a copy of the "Thirty - Third Edition, Blue Book of Gun Values by S.P. Fjestad, turn to page 1245, down at the bottom of the page and you will see the values. They range from $140.00 to $1375.00. Without actually holding the weapon I cannot give youa value. In my estimation she is worth around $500.00. This is based soley on the pictures.

I hope that this helps you.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 11-21-2012, 03:26 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks guys. Yeah, I went and hunted, FINALLY found a site that says mine is a B grade because it has the checkered stock and pump. The A's were plain-jane, C's had filigreeing, while the D's, which were the high class ones, had gold and silver worked into them.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I would hold onto her no matter what grade she is. She appears to be in beautiful condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdouglas View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah, I went and hunted, FINALLY found a site that says mine is a B grade because it has the checkered stock and pump. The A's were plain-jane, C's had filigreeing, while the D's, which were the high class ones, had gold and silver worked into them.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

LOL! No worries there. I buy stuff to keep. I am a history geek, especially when it comes to guns from before Korea. But the guy I bought it off said it was used in a Detroit prison, so as a cop, I just had to have it.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There are many reasons to collect. Being a cop is just as good as any other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdouglas View Post
LOL! No worries there. I buy stuff to keep. I am a history geek, especially when it comes to guns from before Korea. But the guy I bought it off said it was used in a Detroit prison, so as a cop, I just had to have it.