Manurhin p38
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Manurhin p38

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1487 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 347

Default Manurhin p38

I almost made a deal on a Manurhin P-38 at a pawn shop today, but when the seller balked at taking a credit card without a ten dollar fee, I walked. The Pistol was in VG condition with strong, clean rifling and excellent finish.

How much should I have been willing to pay for this thing? (I will tell you my offer later)

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2033 Times on 1410 Posts
Likes Given: 1041

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I almost made a deal on a Manurhin P-38 at a pawn shop today, but when the seller balked at taking a credit card without a ten dollar fee, I walked. The Pistol was in VG condition with strong, clean rifling and excellent finish.

How much should I have been willing to pay for this thing? (I will tell you my offer later)
Off the cuff, $300 tops without a nazi rollmark.

Good for you to reject the CC fee bullsh!t. It is an industry standard but lowly nonetheless.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Off the cuff, $300 tops without a nazi rollmark.

Good for you to reject the CC fee bullsh!t. It is an industry standard but lowly nonetheless.
It is post war, no roll mark. The French took the Walther equipment and manpower and made this version of the P-38 in France. It is really a P-1 with the alloy frame, but still marked P-38.

Carl Sagan

Old 08-17-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5740 Times on 2999 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
It is post war, no roll mark. The French took the Walther equipment and manpower and made this version of the P-38 in France. It is really a P-1 with the alloy frame, but still marked P-38.
it was walther moving his plant and people there to flee the russians. the manhurin wlather products were the best stuff walther ever produced.

if it was a good price shoulda just got it as it sounded in great condition.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
it was walther moving his plant and people there to flee the russians. the manhurin wlather products were the best stuff walther ever produced.

if it was a good price shoulda just got it as it sounded in great condition.
Good price or no is what my real dilemma was. After taxes and credit card fee, it would have been right at $400.00. I just don't have a handle of what the going rate for the guns are.

At my age, all of my guns are also investments to be recovered after retirement. I don't need any firearms, other than the ones I already own, so I will only buy if it is a real deal.

Carl Sagan

Old 08-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #6

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I paid $450 for an actual Walther made P-38 with all the markings and was made in '43. That is the going rate right now.
P1's are in the $300-$350 range. Unless this specific type was special, $400 is a bit high.
I do like my P-38.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 08-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
I paid $450 for an actual Walther made P-38 with all the markings and was made in '43. That is the going rate right now.
P1's are in the $300-$350 range. Unless this specific type was special, $400 is a bit high.
I do like my P-38.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
I recently acquired a P-1 and I too like the pistol a lot. I just don't have a handle on how many French made P-38s there are and how popular they are in the collector community. I was willing to roll the dice at $350.00, but not more without knowing.

Carl Sagan