M95 Steyr Mannlicher Carbine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > M95 Steyr Mannlicher Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default M95 Steyr Mannlicher Carbine

I was looking around on the web today, and saw some M95 Steyr Mannlicher Carbines for sale for $110. My question is, how good are they? Their cheap like a Mosin (ammo in over $1.00 per round though), so why haven't I heard much about them around here (compared to the Mosin)?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 AM   #2

Here's a pic of one.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I was looking around on the web today, and saw some M95 Steyr Mannlicher Carbines for sale for $110. My question is, how good are they? Their cheap like a Mosin (ammo in over $1.00 per round though), so why haven't I heard much about them around here (compared to the Mosin)?
I had two of them, but have gotten rid of them since I'm into black powder now. Hornady and Priv Partizan make factory ammo for it, and Priv Partizan makes the empty casings (I bought mine through Graf's and Sons, as well as the boolits). Lee makes a set of dies for them (and they are not that expensive - I got mine off of Fleabay). They were a hoot to shoot, and made a fantastic woods gun (both of mine were surprisingly accurate). The main problem is with the ejector becoming weak/breaking, and finding parts for them can be problematic. There are a couple of places out on the web that sells the parts and you can do a google search to find them. One of the places I frequently used was https://www.buymilsurp.com/rifle-parts-accessories-steyr-m95-8x56r-c-3548_2083.html
I really liked mine (the straight pull is what caused me to end up getting two Swiss K-31's). I have gotten rid of all my C&R rifles and have purchased several muzzle loaders and all the stuff that goes with them.

Last edited by tdperry; 03-19-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #4

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Buy one,reload (reduced charge) for it.

Those things kick like a mule!!! w/surplus ammo or full powder loads,alot more kick then my 50BMG

The price of ammo plays a big factor in m95 vs mosin surplus rifles

Last edited by m72law; 03-20-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

its the price of and ready supply of surplus ammo that makes mosin popular. for every mosin the soviets made they also made about 70billion rounds to go with each one. since the 7.62x54r is still an active service cartridge today the supply isnt very likely to dry up as the soviets are rotating out their stockpiles

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-20-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdperry View Post
I had two of them, but have gotten rid of them since I'm into black powder now. Hornady and Priv Partizan make factory ammo for it, and Priv Partizan makes the empty casings (I bought mine through Graf's and Sons, as well as the boolits). Lee makes a set of dies for them (and they are not that expensive - I got mine off of Fleabay). They were a hoot to shoot, and made a fantastic woods gun (both of mine were surprisingly accurate). The main problem is with the ejector becoming weak/breaking, and finding parts for them can be problematic. There are a couple of places out on the web that sells the parts and you can do a google search to find them. One of the places I frequently used was https://www.buymilsurp.com/rifle-parts-accessories-steyr-m95-8x56r-c-3548_2083.html
I really liked mine (the straight pull is what caused me to end up getting two Swiss K-31's). I have gotten rid of all my C&R rifles and have purchased several muzzle loaders and all the stuff that goes with them.
Thanks for the info, If I get one, I will definitely look into reloading for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
Buy one,reload (reduced charge) for it.

Those things kick like a mule!!! w/surplus ammo or full powder loads,alot more kick then my 50BMG

The price of ammo plays a big factor in m95 vs mosin surplus rifles
Ouch. Why do they kick so hard? Is the 8x56R just a really hot round?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
its the price of and ready supply of surplus ammo that makes mosin popular. for every mosin the soviets made they also made about 70billion rounds to go with each one. since the 7.62x54r is still an active service cartridge today the supply isnt very likely to dry up as the soviets are rotating out their stockpiles
Well, that's good news for my Mosin. I did have a hard time actually finding a place that had the 8x56R ammo in stock, so I guess I would have to reload for it.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #7

my guess, to why they have such a nasty recoil is the 200+gr bullet loaded to max charge..in a very light package?

the first time i shot one of these M95 rifles,i was told ''it has the recoil of a 12ga birdshot round'' (B.S.!!!) when i squeezed off that first round,the aftermath was = i had to check my undies i purchased this rifle from the same A-hole,along wiht 2000rds of nazi stamped ammo :/

nothing wrong with owning a few M95's,i do...but i'd rather PEE off my neighboros with A fifty than have to RUB icey hot on my shoulder & change my underwear. it happens though

Last edited by m72law; 03-20-2012 at 02:12 AM.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Ouch. Why do they kick so hard? Is the 8x56R just a really hot round?
short barrel. im not sure why it is but thats how it works. the shorter the barrel the more felt recoil. prolly some physicsy sciency explanation but i have no idea why

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #9

TEX, if your a bigger build of a avg. size man,you can shoot these rifles all day long!

my father-n-law,came by shortly after purchasing my first M95 & wanted to try out the new tool.

he's 6'1'' 225lbs/57 years old & shot this rifle like it was a 12ga w/bird shot.

i'm 5'10'' 207lbs/36 years old & shot this rifle like it was a 25mm bushmaster

the sad part for me is..he hit the styro-target (pie plate) @ 300yrds'standing.1rd

I couldnt come close to it @ the same-prone /w 5rds

my excuess=that A-HOLE that didnt tell me to ''hold on to it'' M95=flintchers!!!

Last edited by m72law; 03-20-2012 at 02:49 AM.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
short barrel. im not sure why it is but thats how it works. the shorter the barrel the more felt recoil. prolly some physicsy sciency explanation but i have no idea why
It may be because a short barrel is lighter then a long barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
TEX, if your a bigger build of a avg. size man,you can shoot these rifles all day long!

my father-n-law,came by shortly after purchasing my first M95 & wanted to try out the new tool.

he's 6'1'' 225lbs/57 years old & shot this rifle like it was a 12ga w/bird shot.

i'm 5'10'' 207lbs/36 years old & shot this rifle like it was a 25mm bushmaster

the sad part for me is..he hit the styro-target (pie plate) @ 300yrds'standing.1rd

I couldnt come close to it @ the same-prone /w 5rds

my excuess=that A-HOLE that didnt tell me to ''hold on to it'' M95=flintchers!!!
I'm 6 ft, and 12 ga magnum didn't seem to bother me too much (my shoulder was a little sore after a few rounds of it though ), so I should be able to handle it.
It seems like a pretty cool gun for $100. There are a few other guns that I was wanting to look into getting (SKS, Yugo Mauser, Ruger 10/22, and I was looking into a 9mm Hi Point Carbine), but money is tight for me, and you can't beat $100. (I may try to get the 10/22 if I can find one pretty cheap)
I was also looking into getting a Tula Nagant Revolver to match my Mosin, but I would have to either find one locally and get it in a private sell, or have it gifted to me. (Dang federal laws. I think the 21 for hand guns thing is BS)