Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   M95 Steyr Mannlicher Carbine (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/m95-steyr-mannlicher-carbine-60520/)

texaswoodworker 03-18-2012 09:43 PM

M95 Steyr Mannlicher Carbine

I was looking around on the web today, and saw some M95 Steyr Mannlicher Carbines for sale for $110. My question is, how good are they? Their cheap like a Mosin (ammo in over $1.00 per round though), so why haven't I heard much about them around here (compared to the Mosin)? :confused:

texaswoodworker 03-18-2012 11:05 PM

Here's a pic of one.

http://www.kuk-ir97.com/jpg/sciopo.jpg

tdperry 03-19-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 744353)
I was looking around on the web today, and saw some M95 Steyr Mannlicher Carbines for sale for $110. My question is, how good are they? Their cheap like a Mosin (ammo in over $1.00 per round though), so why haven't I heard much about them around here (compared to the Mosin)? :confused:

I had two of them, but have gotten rid of them since I'm into black powder now. Hornady and Priv Partizan make factory ammo for it, and Priv Partizan makes the empty casings (I bought mine through Graf's and Sons, as well as the boolits). Lee makes a set of dies for them (and they are not that expensive - I got mine off of Fleabay). They were a hoot to shoot, and made a fantastic woods gun (both of mine were surprisingly accurate). The main problem is with the ejector becoming weak/breaking, and finding parts for them can be problematic. There are a couple of places out on the web that sells the parts and you can do a google search to find them. One of the places I frequently used was https://www.buymilsurp.com/rifle-parts-accessories-steyr-m95-8x56r-c-3548_2083.html
I really liked mine (the straight pull is what caused me to end up getting two Swiss K-31's). I have gotten rid of all my C&R rifles and have purchased several muzzle loaders and all the stuff that goes with them.

m72law 03-19-2012 11:28 PM

Buy one,reload (reduced charge) for it.

Those things kick like a mule!!! w/surplus ammo or full powder loads,alot more kick then my 50BMG:D

The price of ammo plays a big factor in m95 vs mosin surplus rifles

JonM 03-19-2012 11:51 PM

its the price of and ready supply of surplus ammo that makes mosin popular. for every mosin the soviets made they also made about 70billion rounds to go with each one. since the 7.62x54r is still an active service cartridge today the supply isnt very likely to dry up as the soviets are rotating out their stockpiles

texaswoodworker 03-20-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdperry (Post 744913)
I had two of them, but have gotten rid of them since I'm into black powder now. Hornady and Priv Partizan make factory ammo for it, and Priv Partizan makes the empty casings (I bought mine through Graf's and Sons, as well as the boolits). Lee makes a set of dies for them (and they are not that expensive - I got mine off of Fleabay). They were a hoot to shoot, and made a fantastic woods gun (both of mine were surprisingly accurate). The main problem is with the ejector becoming weak/breaking, and finding parts for them can be problematic. There are a couple of places out on the web that sells the parts and you can do a google search to find them. One of the places I frequently used was https://www.buymilsurp.com/rifle-parts-accessories-steyr-m95-8x56r-c-3548_2083.html
I really liked mine (the straight pull is what caused me to end up getting two Swiss K-31's). I have gotten rid of all my C&R rifles and have purchased several muzzle loaders and all the stuff that goes with them.

Thanks for the info, If I get one, I will definitely look into reloading for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m72law (Post 745488)
Buy one,reload (reduced charge) for it.

Those things kick like a mule!!! w/surplus ammo or full powder loads,alot more kick then my 50BMG:D

The price of ammo plays a big factor in m95 vs mosin surplus rifles

Ouch. :D Why do they kick so hard? Is the 8x56R just a really hot round?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 745521)
its the price of and ready supply of surplus ammo that makes mosin popular. for every mosin the soviets made they also made about 70billion rounds to go with each one. since the 7.62x54r is still an active service cartridge today the supply isnt very likely to dry up as the soviets are rotating out their stockpiles

Well, that's good news for my Mosin.:D I did have a hard time actually finding a place that had the 8x56R ammo in stock, so I guess I would have to reload for it.

m72law 03-20-2012 12:55 AM

my guess, to why they have such a nasty recoil is the 200+gr bullet loaded to max charge..in a very light package?:cool:

the first time i shot one of these M95 rifles,i was told ''it has the recoil of a 12ga birdshot round'' (B.S.!!!) when i squeezed off that first round,the aftermath was = i had to check my undies :o i purchased this rifle from the same A-hole,along wiht 2000rds of nazi stamped ammo :/

nothing wrong with owning a few M95's,i do...but i'd rather PEE off my neighboros with A fifty than have to RUB icey hot on my shoulder & change my underwear.;) it happens though :)

JonM 03-20-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 745593)
Ouch. :D Why do they kick so hard? Is the 8x56R just a really hot round?

short barrel. im not sure why it is but thats how it works. the shorter the barrel the more felt recoil. prolly some physicsy sciency explanation but i have no idea why

m72law 03-20-2012 01:33 AM

TEX, if your a bigger build of a avg. size man,you can shoot these rifles all day long!:p

my father-n-law,came by shortly after purchasing my first M95 & wanted to try out the new tool.

he's 6'1'' 225lbs/57 years old & shot this rifle like it was a 12ga w/bird shot.:(

i'm 5'10'' 207lbs/36 years old & shot this rifle like it was a 25mm bushmaster:eek:

the sad part for me is..he hit the styro-target (pie plate) @ 300yrds'standing.1rd;)

I couldnt come close to it @ the same-prone /w 5rds:o

my excuess=that A-HOLE that didnt tell me to ''hold on to it'' M95=flintchers!!!

texaswoodworker 03-20-2012 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 745618)
short barrel. im not sure why it is but thats how it works. the shorter the barrel the more felt recoil. prolly some physicsy sciency explanation but i have no idea why

It may be because a short barrel is lighter then a long barrel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m72law (Post 745680)
TEX, if your a bigger build of a avg. size man,you can shoot these rifles all day long!:p

my father-n-law,came by shortly after purchasing my first M95 & wanted to try out the new tool.

he's 6'1'' 225lbs/57 years old & shot this rifle like it was a 12ga w/bird shot.:(

i'm 5'10'' 207lbs/36 years old & shot this rifle like it was a 25mm bushmaster:eek:

the sad part for me is..he hit the styro-target (pie plate) @ 300yrds'standing.1rd;)

I couldnt come close to it @ the same-prone /w 5rds:o

my excuess=that A-HOLE that didnt tell me to ''hold on to it'' M95=flintchers!!!

I'm 6 ft, and 12 ga magnum didn't seem to bother me too much (my shoulder was a little sore after a few rounds of it though :D), so I should be able to handle it.
It seems like a pretty cool gun for $100. There are a few other guns that I was wanting to look into getting (SKS, Yugo Mauser, Ruger 10/22, and I was looking into a 9mm Hi Point Carbine), but money is tight for me, and you can't beat $100. :D (I may try to get the 10/22 if I can find one pretty cheap)
I was also looking into getting a Tula Nagant Revolver to match my Mosin, but I would have to either find one locally and get it in a private sell, or have it gifted to me. (Dang federal laws. I think the 21 for hand guns thing is BS)