M1917 Receiver Notch - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > M1917 Receiver Notch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemccarthy707 View Post
Bingo. I think it was done by the Danes If I recall correctly.
Doesn't really follow though. Why wasn't the cartridge well increased in length if they used longer bullets? Unless they single loaded which doesn't make sense either. More than likely it was an indicator it was chambered for 06 and not 303 since these rifles probably went through Canada or one of the other countries that used 303.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:27 AM   #12

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
Doesn't really follow though. Why wasn't the cartridge well increased in length if they used longer bullets? Unless they single loaded which doesn't make sense either. More than likely it was an indicator it was chambered for 06 and not 303 since these rifles probably went through Canada or one of the other countries that used 303.
It would have a c-broad arrow stamp and there would be a red band painted around the stock to be Canadian or British.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Neither the .303 P-14 or the .30-06 Model of 1917 Eddystones available at my local toy store have such a notch in their receivers.

Note, I will be owning one of these sometime this year!

Would the OP could post an actual picture?

Collectors Firearms

TXnorton

Old 04-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #14

Quote:
It would have a c-broad arrow stamp and there would be a red band painted around the stock to be Canadian or British.
Since the OP mentions a serialized stock it is definitely a Lend/Lease. The bolt should be numbered also. As to what country we would need to know if there are any acceptance stamps or such. The paint can wear off or be stripped off by anyone. I believe the Dane rifles were L/L from Canada that may have gone through Norway first. Not all Canadian rifles were marked with the crows foot.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
Neither the .303 P-14 or the .30-06 Model of 1917 Eddystones available at my local toy store have such a notch in their receivers.

Note, I will be owning one of these sometime this year!

Would the OP could post an actual picture?

Collectors Firearms
If the 303 vs 30-06 theory is true then the P14 definitely wouldn't have it. The 1917 may not have it because it was never L/L.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
It is more than likely a Lend_Lease that went through Canada to the Danes. Several theories abound on the notch in the receiver. One is it was done to clear longer ammo being loaded. Or it may have been a way to tell the rifle used 30/06 versus 303 Brit. Another is they went through Norway first and they notched them to accept a different clip loading system. Take your pick of conspiracy theories. Are there any markings to indicate it was Lend-Lease?
The rifle is not a Savage marked "United States Property" for British Lend Lease. I was unaware that the rifles had been provided to Denmark (I presume post-war). The serial number on the stock was a head scratcher for me though, as it is European practice, not U.S. Notching the receiver seems like a very expensive way of marking the rifle, vice the color system that the Brits used. But reality isn't always logical. I will try to get some actual pictures of the rifle up on this site. Thanks a lot for your input.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Neither appear on the rifle, I'll try to get photos up this week.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #18

Default US Rifle M1917

Theory is that some of the early 1917 receivers were notched because for a very short time the factories were building both the P-14 and the 1917 receivers at the same time so the 1917's were notched so they could be quickly identified.

Dallas