Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > M1917 Receiver Notch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M1917 Receiver Notch

I have just acquired an M1917. It is in great condition in original bluing. It does not have any signs of sporterizing. However, it has a top notch in the receiver, which I can't explain. I am NOT referring to the side ejection notch. This is a rounded notch, just like you see in the Commission 88s that have been rearsenelled to the "S" longer cartridges. Its a Remington rifle and the notch has the same bluing as the rest of the rifle. The sharp markings indicate that the rifle has not been refinished, and the bluing indicates that it was not rearsenelled for WWII.

I've read three possibilities for this notch:
- Sporterized for longer magnum cartridge.
- Government mod for .22LR training adapter.
- Pederson MkII device modification (apparantly planned for the M1917)

The former seems odd, given the pristine nature of the rest of the receiver and what appears to be original bluing (has 30-06 barrel). Has a numbered stock (oddly for US gun) that matches receiver.

I can't find anything on the .22LR adapter, and I'm doubtful of the authenticity of the third.

There was also a statment that the Norwegians might have gotten gung ho about notching their 98k Mausers for 30-06 and notched a few of their M1917s. I don't think that's likely at all.

Does anyone have an idea?

Sorry I don't have a photo right now.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

If that notch is on the left side of the action towards the back of the action that was to help in loading the weapon with a striper clip. you would place the striper clip in the u shaped notch on the top in front of the rear sight and take you left thumb and press on the top of 5 30-06 cartridges and they would be pushed into the mag in one fast motion.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #3

Default Forward top of receiver

Thanks, but its not the clip guide. This notch is at the front-top of the receiver. Its identical to the type of notches cut in older Mausers and Commission 88s, when they went to the longer "S" cartridge.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampleman View Post
Thanks, but its not the clip guide. This notch is at the front-top of the receiver. Its identical to the type of notches cut in older Mausers and Commission 88s, when they went to the longer "S" cartridge.
Is the notch cut here on the top?

Old 04-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #5

Yes, precisely. It is exactly at the 12 o'clock position, as if cut to allow longer cartridges. However, this doesn't make sense to me, as the magazine isn't long enough to take longer cartridges. It is cut at the same depth as the side ejection notch.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #6

It looks like this Mauser receiver, except the notch isn't as wide.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #7

More than likely it was jut relieved to provide more space for longer bullets.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #8

Well, that is all I can think of, but it is extremely well done and the bluing matches, making me think it was done by the arsenal.

It is odd that someone would cut the receiver to take a longer cartridge (like .300 H&H), but do nothing else to the rifle. The stock has matching numbers to the receiver.

Of course, someone may have done a fantastic job of reconstructing a modified rifle to the near original.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #9

It is more than likely a Lend_Lease that went through Canada to the Danes. Several theories abound on the notch in the receiver. One is it was done to clear longer ammo being loaded. Or it may have been a way to tell the rifle used 30/06 versus 303 Brit. Another is they went through Norway first and they notched them to accept a different clip loading system. Take your pick of conspiracy theories. Are there any markings to indicate it was Lend-Lease?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:56 AM   #10

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
More than likely it was jut relieved to provide more space for longer bullets.
Bingo. I think it was done by the Danes If I recall correctly.