You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion >

M1917 Eddystone - To Good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default M1917 Eddystone - To Good?

I came across an Eddystone M1917 this weekend in what seemed to be like-new condition. It was blued, with minimal wear (typical places: top of sight, magazine floor plate). Some of the bluing almost had a heat-treated quality to it Ė varying shades of blue. All markings are crisp, and there are no import markings on it.

While the metal looked good, the stock (also Eddystone) had a couple of odd-looking wood patches/plug fixes on it. It seems to have and original 1918 barrel on it. I understand that the original M1917ís were blued and subsequent rebuilds were parkarized, seems strange that this piece with metal this good would have had/needed the stock fixed. Stock aside, itís one of those things that looks so good it makes me suspicious!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1465 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 273

It does sound too good to be for real but who knows. Just about every part on it should be marked as to maker (R, E, W) so I would look at as many of those as possible. http://m1903.com/m1917markings.htm If it was arsenal rebuilt the the parts really shouldn't match as they were just tossed in bins as they came apart and were reassambled the same way. Can you get some pictures to post so we can all have a look? Here are a few pictures of mine for you to compare with. Mine is a mix on Eddystone and Remington parts.
img_3083.jpg   img_3087.jpg   img_3084.jpg   img_3085.jpg   img_3086.jpg  

img_3088.jpg  

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis
1563621 Likes This 
Old 04-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

RE the pics: it's the owner's house - which I won’t be able to get back to or a while, so no pics for now at least. I did not disassemble it but for taking the bolt out - but I did not notice any parts ~not~ marked as Eddystone. Again, I want to believe, but…

Old 04-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

By the way string1946, looks like a pretty nice rifle you have!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHenryBowman View Post
By the way string1946, looks like a pretty nice rifle you have!
Thank you. I guess its possible it was just never issued and is still factory fresh and if it is that would be quite a find. According to the 7th edition of the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms, the original finish would have been a "Matte Blue". Hopefully some other members can give you more things for you to look for. Good luck and I hope its the real thing and you take it home.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #6

Liked 5759 Times on 3370 Posts
Likes Given: 4889

OT

M1917 Eddystone - To Good? - Curio & Relic Discussion

Having never handled one of those beautiful rifles, I have to wonder if the rear sight inspired the later pistol sight by Smith & Wesson.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:57 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 36

String 46, Nice and clean bench you have there, And a nice 17!!
string1946 Likes This 
Old 04-10-2014, 12:58 AM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 36

My bench, I have to focus on the item. If I stand back too far. OMG!!
h-r-usmc-m2-012.jpg  

Old 04-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1563621 View Post
String 46, Nice and clean bench you have there, And a nice 17!!
Thanks. The only way I can keep my bench looking neat is to keep making it bigger so I can spread the stuff out. I have two sides of a square already so I figure it won't be long before I have myself compeletely boxed in.
img_3644.jpg   img_3646.jpg  

People Like This 
Old 04-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 810 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Jesus String I am jealous! I would buy dang near any eddystone I come across I love those rifles lol