M1 Garand Springfield Armory Rifle $1059 ?? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > M1 Garand Springfield Armory Rifle $1059 ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Thank you for setting it straight for me. It always bothered me to see these rifles at shows and on he auction houses blatently saying they were CMP purchased and that no one seemed concerned about it. I just hate the markup on them. I paid $475 for mine from CMP and it was much better than the $800+ junk I'm seeing at the shows.

Thanks again Dcomf

When I got my first one from the DCM the rifles they had to choose from were outstanding. I received a rifle with National Match barrel and glass bedded. The wood is immaculate with one or two minor scratches. I paid the princely sum of $275 IIRC. As of late they have been scraping the bottom of the barrel it seems for rifles. They have to sell what they have, the days of clean rifles are over unless you like to bid on their auctions.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I bought mine just after they had run out of the Greek Lend Lease rifles. Those were some nice shooters. I still lucked out with the H&R rifle though. All matching walnut furniture and solid finish on the metal.

To the OP of this thread? Buying straight from CMP would still be the best way to go in my opinion.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post

Then I found a VERY nice M1 locally for just a bit more money than the CMP option. The one I bought locally was in really great shape, late 1941 manufacture with a 1947 re-barrel, near new bore and the action looked untouched since the arsenal re-build. I am more satisfied with this M1 as it has a more direct connection to WW2 service than a CMP rifle would have had.

A more direct connection, really? So one from a US Army arsenal that was probably stored away since the 50's or 60's would have less authenticity than one of dubious lineage probably Bubba'd some time in it's lifetime.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
A more direct connection, really? So one from a US Army arsenal that was probably stored away since the 50's or 60's would have less authenticity than one of dubious lineage probably Bubba'd some time in it's lifetime.
Who pi$$ed in your Wheaties?

All I was trying to say is that with a late 1941 serial number and a 1947 arsenal re-build and with apparently very little use since then that my (new to me) Garand appears to be a WW2 era service rifle that was re-built only once and shortly after the end of the war. I have nothing at all against the CMP route, but a CMP rifle (that you can buy TODAY) MAY have been re-built many times, and have a less traceable history.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
Who pi$$ed in your Wheaties?

All I was trying to say is that with a late 1941 serial number and a 1947 arsenal re-build and with apparently very little use since then that my (new to me) Garand appears to be a WW2 era service rifle that was re-built only once and shortly after the end of the war. I have nothing at all against the CMP route, but a CMP rifle (that you can buy TODAY) MAY have been re-built many times, and have a less traceable history.
Say what you mean then and don't leave room for interpretation. Besides, I don't like Wheaties, Count Chocula on the other hand is good eatin'.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #26

I'm waiting for the French returns. Never fired and only dropped once.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Are the rifles that are supposedly being returned by Korea going to go through CMP?

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #28

Liked 358 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

10 characters
Quote:
Garands and Carbines from Korea

The emals and calls keep pouring in to CMP asking about the Korean rifles and carbines. The following is our reply:

The rumors, reports, articles about Korea have been circulating for at least five years. A few months ago a Korean newspaper once again reported that they would selling Garands and carbines to a US importer. The CMP is not a firearms importer and we do not have any involvement of any kind in anything that may happen with these Korean rifles and carbines.

The only way any rifle or carbine from any country can find its way to the CMP is if the country returns loaned rifles back to the US Army. When that happens, the CMP "may" possibly receive some of those rifles. According to the recent articles, Korea will not be returning anything to the US Army, but will be "selling" these rifles to an importer. If, in fact, these rifles are sold to an importer, the CMP will not see even one of them. We do not have any additional information on this subject. Thanks for understanding.

Orest Michaels
Chief Operating Officer

Last edited by Highpower; 02-23-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: just because

Old 02-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
It's reliable and consistently accurate and it shoots better than I can. It's built like a tank and has real history.
That is what makes a rifle IMO. I am a huge history fan. However, it is dumb if the gun shoots like **** (like the FP-45 Liberator).
That's why I bought a Mosin Nagant. I plan on getting a Smith & Wesson Model 10 and a Garand over the next few years.

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxpilot View Post
I'm waiting for the French returns. Never fired and only dropped once.
So so true!

Tags
want this badly