M1 Garand Springfield Armory Rifle $1059 ?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > M1 Garand Springfield Armory Rifle $1059 ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

I hate that I have been wanting one myself, find the means to do so; and just can't afford it right now. ARRRGGGGG!!! And from the looks of the site it looks like they are drying up kinda quick like.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I was going to go the CMP route for my M1 acquisition. I have seen a few of their rifles at the local range, and they looked brand new, really nice.

Then I found a VERY nice M1 locally for just a bit more money than the CMP option. The one I bought locally was in really great shape, late 1941 manufacture with a 1947 re-barrel, near new bore and the action looked untouched since the arsenal re-build. I am more satisfied with this M1 as it has a more direct connection to WW2 service than a CMP rifle would have had.

TXnorton

Old 02-11-2010, 02:13 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8883 Times on 3846 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

One mention of CMP- IF you have a military ID, (active, reserve, retired) you have just met the "engaged in shooting sports" requirement. IF you are a commissioned officer, you have just met the "proof of citizenship" requirements, since only a US citizen can hold a commission. Shortens up the paperwork somewhat. Got that direct from the CMP folks.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:06 AM   #14

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

What he said. ^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity:
You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:
- Current or past military service.
- Current or past law enforcement service
- Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
- Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
- Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
- Concealed Carry License.
- Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
- FFL or C&R license.
- Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
- Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.
NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #15

My goal is to buy one this summer in Anniston (in person). Guys at local Memphis/Jackson TN gun shows try to sell very similar nice M-1s for about $900-1,000, but don't know which CMP category etc they would fit into.

Have read and heard that they limit ammo sales, to try to prevent scalping.
Will they sell somebody 500 rounds?

Am doing my very first reloading (only Prvi .303 right now) and would like to 'advance' to the 30-06, as their correct GI ammo has boxer primers. Have read about shattered op rods and shattered Garands (saw a photo of a gun in six pieces: the owner bought a stranger's reloads for it, sold by a store...)

Last edited by Laufer; 02-11-2010 at 07:41 AM.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post

You cannot beat the price either. Many of the ones you see at the gunshows that are soo overpriced have come from CMP originally (which is frowned upon by the CMP).
Honestly, the CMP could care less what you did with it after it was in your grubby hands. They want the money from the sales, plain and simple. When it was the DCM they had a policy of one rifle per person period. Last I checked you could buy 8 per year. Quite a turn around of policy.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
My goal is to buy one this summer in Anniston (in person). Guys at local Memphis/Jackson TN gun shows try to sell very similar nice M-1s for about $900-1,000, but don't know which CMP category etc they would fit into.
Here is how the CMP grades their rifles, directly from their site. Take a throat gauge and muzzle gauge and do your own checking when you go.

RACK GRADE: (Fair)
Rack Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge more than “5”The overall appearance and condition of the rack grade will generally be rougher than any other grade. Fair condition.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

FIELD GRADE: (Fair to Good)
Field Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Fair to good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards. Do not expect rifles in mint condition in this grade.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

SERVICE GRADE: (Good to Very Good)
Service Grade Rifles show less wear and better appearance than Field or Rack Grades. Good to very good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the parkerized finish. There may be some minor pitting on the metal parts. Wood will be either Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety and will be basically sound but may have minor hairline cracks, dings, scratches and gouges. Wood may not match in color or type of wood. Wood may be of new production on Service Grade Garands. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections. The barrel crown may be nicked, but the muzzle will gauge less than 3 and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5.

CORRECT GRADE: (Very Good to Excellent)
Correct Grade Rifles are similar to the Service Grade (above), but will show less wear and use. Correct Grade rifles will have all correct parts for the date of manufacture with 80% or better overall original metal finish. The stock and handguards will be of walnut and correct for the rifle but will have some dings, dents, scratches and marring of the wood finish. Stocks will have the appropriate original inspector's cartouche. The rifle bore will be very good with no significant defects and with a throat erosion of less than 4 and a muzzle wear of 2 or less. Very good to excellent condition. Limited quantities are occasionally available. Prices start at $950.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post

Have read and heard that they limit ammo sales, to try to prevent scalping.
Will they sell somebody 500 rounds?
No limits on ammunition purchases at this time that I am aware of.

Quote:
The CMP has been successful in acquiring another very large quantity of HXP .30-06 ammo. We expect delivery in Jan 2010 and should have the ammo ready for sale by Feb or Mar. Until we actually receive and inspect the ammo, we will not know what packaging configurations will be available, but expect them to be the same as we have had for the past few years. We do not yet know what our final cost will be. We do know that the quantity is large enough to satisfy our customer needs for several years.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
When it was the DCM they had a policy of one rifle per person period. Last I checked you could buy 8 per year. Quite a turn around of policy.
Not really a 'turn around' of policy, rather a different policy. The old DCM program was conducted by the US Army. It has since been turned over to the CMP which is a private corporation. New owners - new rules. The goal remains the same. The promotion of civilian marksmanship, with the main emphasis on junior programs.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
Honestly, the CMP could care less what you did with it after it was in your grubby hands. They want the money from the sales, plain and simple. Last I checked you could buy 8 per year. Quite a turn around of policy.
Thank you for setting it straight for me. It always bothered me to see these rifles at shows and on he auction houses blatently saying they were CMP purchased and that no one seemed concerned about it. I just hate the markup on them. I paid $475 for mine from CMP and it was much better than the $800+ junk I'm seeing at the shows.

Thanks again Dcomf

Tags
want this badly