M1 Garand help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > M1 Garand help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M1 Garand help

I've taken the fist step in identifying my M1, contacting the cmp and requesting the cmp cert letter. I've looked up my receiver serial number and barrel number. which by the way is far from being shot out. Both match 8/44. I've ordered from ebay the scott duff book to match the rest of the drawing numbers. what I need help with is this "rack number".

forumrunner_20121019_074904.jpg

Are there any vets out there who can help me with this. All of my research points out that this may have been in an armory stateside or overseas and may have never seen real action. It could have been assigned to a motor pool, kitchen etc, or even a boot camp range rifle. Any help would be great.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Aug.,1962, Co.B,1st Bn, 1st Tng Rgt. U.S. Army, Ft. Jackson, S.C. we had no such stenciling on the butt stock or anyplace else.
Sorry I can't help you.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Your probably not going to be able to track the rack number, not unless it has a unit or you can track the unit down via serial, which will be damn near impossible.

The rack is pretty well meaningless anyway. It means exactly what the name implies, it denotes which slot in the rifle racks it was placed in while in the armory.

Weapons and some other gear have their serial numbers recorded in regards as to who they're issued to. This is why some people still remember their boot camp rifle's serial number. But, the serial numbers are rarely sequential as issued. Rack numbers are, making then easier to keep track of. There are two things service men need to memorize, their serial, and the rack.

I would sand it off. It really means almost absolutely nothing, other than a nasty looking defacement of a beautiful rifle to make it easier to keep track of. Much like painting it day glow orange would make it hard to lose.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Your probably not going to be able to track the rack number, not unless it has a unit or you can track the unit down via serial, which will be damn near impossible.

The rack is pretty well meaningless anyway. It means exactly what the name implies, it denotes which slot in the rifle racks it was placed in while in the armory.

Weapons and some other gear have their serial numbers recorded in regards as to who they're issued to. This is why some people still remember their boot camp rifle's serial number. But, the serial numbers are rarely sequential as issued. Rack numbers are, making then easier to keep track of. There are two things service men need to memorize, their serial, and the rack.

I would sand it off. It really means almost absolutely nothing, other than a nasty looking defacement of a beautiful rifle to make it easier to keep track of. Much like painting it day glow orange would make it hard to lose.
I don't know about sanding it off. Personally, I like the look it has, and the history behind it. Then again, I'm one of those people who would have a hard time changing any part of a military gun.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

CMP rifles are very often made up from parts on hand. CMP will get a pallet of recievers and from stock of parts put these M-1s together. Many of these parts were shipped back from Greece or Norway etc. Trying to trace the history of one these reconditioned rifles is impossible. Your Garand is for markmanship training not for collecting.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #6

I've torn down my rifle and compared the numbers to a spreadsheet database I found on www.m1-garand-rifle.com
everything matches except the bolt and op rod. however the numbers are so close that the bolt and op rod could have been grabbed from another bin. I also contacted the cmp and the master armorer emailed me informing me that the barrel matches the receiver. I also contacted camp grayling armory and it was common practice to paint, use tape or whatever to mark the stock for the rack number. I think I have an original intact Garand. I will reserve my excitment untill I've read my scott duff book. I will not be sanding anything!

Old 10-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #7

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Parts are often replaced as they're worn out or damaged too, that can explain the bolt and oprod. I highly doubt there is a weapon in the military that is as it came from the factory. You may very well have one that's as close as it gets. Hang on to it!

Another note on the rack number that I didn't think of until now: some old man remembers that number, I promise you. So on second thought, as you've already decided, DON'T sand it off.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #8

I did have it for sale. See I was lead to believe that this was a post war Garand by the gun shop. so I never much paid attention to all the nuances of the Garand. That was untill one gentleman was overly excited and wanted to see it up close right away. He started me on my holy grail quest. My wife is even on my side, asking me "you sure you want to sell that"?

Old 10-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #9

Can anyone answer this? Are all of the internals stamped with a drawing number? I.e. the fowler, bullet guide, safety ect.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #10

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have a number of these old battle rifles I am not aware of any of these numbers. During WWII these mass produced rifles used mixed parts. All parts were not made by one company. For any of these rifles to have a collectors value it should fall into the 90%+ class condition. Anything below 90% is a nice shooter until you hit 70%. Check the NRA grading system for collectable firearms.