m1 garand - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > m1 garand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 97 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I picked these two up last night, new stock, mismatched parts, but will run great!!! A collector they're not, but shooters they are. Get one, shoot the piss out of it and have a ball!!!

image-312334304.jpg  

Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #12

Liked 36 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I would try the CMP first. I got mine back in 1983 when the CMP was the DCM. It's a SA with BA stamped on the stock. Never had a problem...shoots great. Good luck with your search. Dick

Ignorance is the most expensive commodity that you can own

Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #13

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My feeling on CMP M1 rifles are.....in todays world getting a "field grade" is perhaps the best $550.00 firearm investment today. IMHO I like the H&R M1s as they were made after the war and may not have been subject to as much "potential" abuse as a Springfield "might" have been (perhaps used in combat). Just a thought. Buying from the CMP is quite easy...just takes a little time.

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Old 01-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #14

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I dont want to come across like I am dissagreeing with every post you make just to start a arguement.
It doesnt matter what the manufacture SA Post War, SA WWII ,HRA Post War they will all fall within the grade description
Todays Field Grades are yesterdays Rack Grades. The Field Grades do fall within the Grade description but for the most part are at the lower end of description.
Years back you could order a FG and get a rifle that may need alittle TLC but would still be a good shooter
I have handled many ,many hundreds of Field Grade rifles and in the last few years most of them are canidates for a rebarrel, a large percent of them with 6-7 Muzzle Wear
If you can hand pick I strongly recommend looking through the FG rifles first as there can be a gem or two hidden amoung them.
For mail order I would not take the chance. Yes someone will post how they got a great FG rifle but trust me it is not the norm anymore .
With a FG expect cracked ,worn mixmatched wood, worn barrel in need of replacement.
For $100 more on a Service Grade ($625) you are getting a rifle that you will not need to do anything to and will be a good shooter
CMP has the best customer service if you would have a issue with your rifle they will take care of you
Just my opinion yours may vary

Last edited by Orlando; 01-12-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #15

Liked 751 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 832

I just want a IH one.. I dont care if it looked like it was dug out of a field and run over by a tank, but even those bring more than I can afford...

Old 01-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #16

IHC's will be sold at CMP "sometime" this year, prices have not be disclosed but wont be cheap and expect them to be mixmasters

Old 01-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #17

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As my posts seem to come under criticism and opinions are questioned as solid facts, perhaps I would be better off visiting another forum. Trez...as posted earlier my IHC with all IHC parts was purchased from the old DCM. As stated it was luck of the draw....one of the few times I have come out on the best end of a deal........and with the government no less.

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #18

I was afraid you would take my post wrong I would just hate for anyone to mail order a FG and it be a $525 dissapointment
Todays Field Grades are not the same as a few years back.
I handle enough of them to know
Again, just trying to help