Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   m1 garand (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/m1-garand-80778/)

leofiremedic 01-09-2013 12:53 PM

m1 garand

Does anyone know where I can get an m1 garand from other than cmp.

M1Anut 01-09-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leofiremedic
Does anyone know where I can get an m1 garand from other than cmp.

You can pick one up at a LGS or gun show, or buy a receiver and build it yourself.

c3shooter 01-09-2013 01:53 PM

There are usually bunches over at Gun Broker, Auction Arms, and Guns America- as well as local gun shop, gun shows, pawn shops, etc ad infinitum. Go over, sign on, review open auctions.

If you have not used an on-line gun auction before, remember you will need to pay shipping and FFL fees to your receiving dealer. so add those to the price you bid.

Orlando 01-09-2013 07:15 PM

Why not CMP, you wil have a very had time finding one cheaper and with good customer support
Its really very simple to qualify, if you need help send me a PM

xring3 01-09-2013 11:13 PM

CMP will not get you a "collectable" M1.....you will get a safe shooter......the receiver will be the only original part....other parts will come from who knows where......Garand Owners Association has a video showing the CMP process each M1goes through.......that being said.....when the old civilian marksmanship program was run by the Army, my first M1 was an International Harvester and all parts are marked IHC.......luck of the draw I guess.

Orlando 01-09-2013 11:49 PM

Not all rifles are tore down and run through the degreasing machine.
Only rifles that are so covered with grease they cannot be graded and checked
The rifles are mixmaster becuase most have gone through atleast one rebuild in their lifetime before CMP ever got ahold of them
Collector and Correct Grades are not built by CMP and are collectable.
They are finding very few and are holding them back until they get enough to put up for sale.

xring3 01-10-2013 03:13 AM

These few usually go up for auction

Orlando 01-10-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xring3 (Post 1087437)
These few usually go up for auction

Only rifles that go up for auction are the more rare collectable rifles, not Correct Grades or Collector Grades

Orest the Director of operations has stated what I have posted

xring3 01-10-2013 11:04 PM

Matter of interpretation if you want a "true" collectable have at and God bless you.....my original point is most of the rifles you get from the CMP are safe shooters....have fun at the range, take it deer hunting, shoot it in some Garand matches or hang iron the wall....bottom line is it is your to do with as you please......within the law of course.

leofiremedic 01-11-2013 01:48 PM

Thanks for the input, I definitely want a shooter, the prices on cmp are good and original would be nice but let's face it original and shootable might be really expensive.