M1 carbine search tips?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > M1 carbine search tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Default M1 carbine search tips?

I am thinking about picking up an M1 carbine soon, but don't know a ton about them. Is there anything that I should look for or avoid, other than the commercial models obviously?

Also, how much should I expect to pay? My LGS has original G.I. carbines for $799. Would that be fair or is that another one of the results of the buying craze?

I appreciate any help that anyone could provide

Thanks.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #2

Liked 63 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I recommend you do some research via some excellent reference books like "War Baby". Most carbines have been through an arsenal overall at least once, some several times. This is why most have a bayonet lug and adjustable rear sight. When originally manufactured the majority had no bayonet lug and a flip up rear sight. So do you want one for collecting or for a shooter? The price you mention of $795 isn't bad if the carbine is in excellent condition and with the looming AWB prices are only going to go up. There is a dedicated forum for the M1 Carbine you may well want to check out also.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9515 Times on 4094 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

Considering that little carbine was only made for a few years, there is a HUGE variety- high wood/ low wood, flat bolt/ round bolt, slide sight/ flip sight, lug/ no lug- as well as the different makers.

DO read up on them- and sadly, price is not out of line for a VG specimen. Some makers only turned out a few, and they will demand higher $$$. And some names like Rock-ola are going to go for more because.... well, would YOU not like a rifle that says Rock-ola ?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #4

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 921

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Considering that little carbine was only made for a few years, there is a HUGE variety- high wood/ low wood, flat bolt/ round bolt, slide sight/ flip sight, lug/ no lug- as well as the different makers.

DO read up on them- and sadly, price is not out of line for a VG specimen. Some makers only turned out a few, and they will demand higher $$$. And some names like Rock-ola are going to go for more because.... well, would YOU not like a rifle that says Rock-ola ?

Personally, I would prefer it to say GM..

Old 01-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #5

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

There have also been many civilian ones made- they sell for quite a bit less. I believe it was Iver Johnson that made one 9mm, I would really like one of them.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #6

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

I paid $750 for my General motors M1 carbine about 3-4 years ago.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #7

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

They are great little rifles. I cast a 120 grs. gas checked WW/Linotype with SPG lube. These bullets pushed up to 1,900 fps with Win 296 are very accurate.
The little "War Baby" is just a fun little shooting toy.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
They are great little rifles. I cast a 120 grs. gas checked WW/Linotype with SPG lube. These bullets pushed up to 1,900 fps with Win 296 are very accurate.
The little "War Baby" is just a fun little shooting toy.
Yes they are, I love mine. That price seems pretty reasonable to me but finding the ammo at a decent price is a bit of a battle lately. Saw it go anywhere from 25 to 35 bucks a box at the gunshow I went to last week. Only two vendors at the entire show had any left.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9515 Times on 4094 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

The civilian models go for MUCH less- frequently for good reason. When Universal first started making carbines, they were using surplus GI parts. When those ran out, they changed the desgn and started making a carbine that parts did not interchange with the GI carbines. And besides the IJ version, I think Kahr is making one now- and IMI probably made one as well.

And as long as we are drooling over guns we do not have, I would like a .22 Johnson Spitfire. Melvin Johnson modified the carbine to fire a bottlenecked round- 30 carbine necked to .22 caliber. Yowzah!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Here's a great resource on the M1 carbine

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/rifles.html