M1 Carbine - National Postal Meter
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > M1 Carbine - National Postal Meter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default M1 Carbine - National Postal Meter

I picked this M1 Carbine up last weekend:

The previous owner thought the barrel was a refurb because it was a Marlin barrel but believed the rest of the rifle was all-original NPM. It was priced accordingly for a refurb, so I went through with the deal and did some research when I got home. I was pleasantly surprised to find that National Postal Meter did not manufacture their own barrels, and that a Marlin stamp with no date does indicate an original barrel. Lucky me, judging from what like weapons sell for on gun broker this gun is possibly worth twice what I paid for it.

Which leads me to my question for you good folks. My goal has been to collect low-budget milsurp rifles that have historical significance but which are NOT too valuable to shoot. That's why I was looking for a WW2 era refurbished M1. I'm going to keep the gun regardless, but in your opinion is this gun too much of a collector's item to shoot?

Last edited by Johnny357; 08-28-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Heck NO ! (my opinion)

That being said, There's not a gun in my collection that I personally will not shoot. And I've got the ammo to prove it .

Some folks do collect to stash away and just have for display purposes but I think it's a waste to have something and not use it..

The oldest piece I have is an 1871 Swiss Vetterelli and I DO have BP rounds to shoot through it. Had the piece converted to shoot centerfire and this gun's over 100 years old.

So if the gun checks out, I'd be getting some .30 carbine ammo and send some lead down range

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 08-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thank you for your response TheOldMan. I tend to agree with you, I was looking to see if I would get a flood of "Don't You Dare!" responses to indicate that I was being foolish.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #4

Liked 87 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Before you take it out to shoot it, I would have the headspace checked and an overall check of it's condition to be on the safe side. JMHO. Other than that, take it out and have fun..........

Jim.........

Old 08-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #5

Liked 320 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny357 View Post
My goal has been to collect low-budget milsurp rifles that have historical significance but which are NOT too valuable to shoot.
Your carbine fits the bill perfectly. I'm in TheOldMan's camp as well - shoot em if you got em! Besides, I can't afford to buy safe queens.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Shoot it, clean it, repeat.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

A consensus so far, very good, thank you all for your responses. I am new to the C&R biz and I very much value the opinions of the sages on this forum.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have an ever increasing collection of older Mil-Surp rifles. But I won't have one unless I can shoot it! Have some good fun with that carbine!

TXnorton