M1 Carbine handguard loose and ammo ??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > M1 Carbine handguard loose and ammo ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M1 Carbine handguard loose and ammo ??

Got my Correct Grade Garand from CMP about a month ago after a 3 month wait, then today got the M1 Carbine from them, a 2 month wait. The back end of the wooden handguard on the top of the Carbine is slightly loose where the 2 holes for what look like rivets, or else they are rusted screws, hold it to the barrel. The rivets (or screws) are 1/4" below the holes in the wood. Any way I can tighten this handguard. Also, the Garand came with a single clip, AIM, J & G and R&R don't have them. Anyone know a good source for clips. J&G has 15 round magazines for the Carbine avail at 2 wildly different prices $31.95 and $15.95, both steel. Hate to pay $31.95 but? Do I have to be careful about what 30-06 I shoot thru the Garand, will most any 7.62 work---maybe a dumb question.

Protect your home and family, it only takes an ounce or two (or 230 GR)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The Carbine handguard has a small piece of sheet metal riveted to the wood. Those are the "rusted screws" you saw. As the Carbines went through the various rebuilding processes, parts were swapped and exchanged between rifles. So it is common to have some loose parts. Try tightening the screw on the front band.

I have found that simply going through and tightening everything down can get rid of some of that looseness. I have also resorted to putting a slight bend in the edges of the metal. Some I've had have been shimmed with folded paper or cardboard. A high heat silicone bead can be used to tighten a loose handguard (Put the silicone in the receiver groove that the handguard slips into).

Check Gunbroker for some Garand clips. USGI tend to be better than the Korean ones. If no luck, send me a PM. I probably have enough of them laying around and would send you a few. I sold my last M1 Garand a couple of years back anyway.

Take a look at 44Mag.com for Carbine mags. They MIGHT have some of the Korean mags which have been excellent for me. Or CDNN.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeshooter View Post
Do I have to be careful about what 30-06 I shoot thru the Garand, will most any 7.62 work---maybe a dumb question.
Must only shoot good quality surplus M2 Ball ammo (available at CMP) or Hornady and Federal make Garand specific loads (expensive)
Or get a adjustable gas screw and you can shoot any commercial available ammo under 180gr

Old 04-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #4

Likes Given: 1

When I acquired my M1 I went and ordered ammunition through CMP which included two spam cans, each containing 192 rounds loaded on 24 enbloc clips in 4 bandoleers. Every clip functions perfectly and the best part, the ammo is non-corrosive and boxer primed so I have been able to reload brass! Can't beat the price either.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #5

for the garand 30-06 ammo you can reload regular 30-06 brass (as long as its heavy mil-brass) and use less powder im not sure how much but thats what google is for...so..hold on a sec...heres A good starting point Reloading for the M1 Garand </head> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

just google "reloading for M1 garand"

(being that mil surp M1 ball is running out reloading would be your best option)

Old 04-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #6

If you plan to load ammo, get reloading manuals from the reloading companies and use them. Please do not trust reloading info from the internet.

I have heard that there can be incorrect information posted on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavingplatoscomphycave View Post
for the garand 30-06 ammo you can reload regular 30-06 brass (as long as its heavy mil-brass) and use less powder im not sure how much but thats what google is for...so..hold on a sec...heres A good starting point Reloading for the M1 Garand </head> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

just google "reloading for M1 garand"

(being that mil surp M1 ball is running out reloading would be your best option)

Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
If you plan to load ammo, get reloading manuals from the reloading companies and use them. Please do not trust reloading info from the internet.

I have heard that there can be incorrect information posted on the internet.
haha naturally =) sorry didnt mean to mislead someone i was just refering to the correct amount of gunpowder and which kinds of primers to use i guess i was assumeing most people reload anyways

Old 04-12-2010, 02:28 AM   #8

oh and rangeshooter (i have no idea what your experience level is so dont get made if im patronizing you) its probally not a good idea to buy reloaded ammo because ive done it more than a few times being lured in by attractive prices but its so not worth it, just because its shiney doesnt mean its good

Old 04-12-2010, 02:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavingplatoscomphycave View Post
haha naturally =) sorry didnt mean to mislead someone i was just refering to the correct amount of gunpowder and which kinds of primers to use i guess i was assumeing most people reload anyways
No sweat. Lots of variables with reloading.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:46 AM   #10

^ by the way M14s do rock (ive only shot the M1A but im sure full auto would just make it that more badass )

Tags
carbine very clean, garand was very greasy