M-1896 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > M-1896 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 212 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 657

Default Sweede

My brother shoots one. He thinks the accuracy is due to the 29" barrel. I prefer my FN 7x57 mauser.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
My brother shoots one. He thinks the accuracy is due to the 29" barrel. I prefer my FN 7x57 mauser.
The following may also explain accuracy:

There is a brass disc about 30mm in diameter inletted into the right side of the buttstock. There are actually three disc variations, an early 2-screw disc, a later 2-screw disc, and a 1-screw disc. My rifle has the one screw type disc, and the information that follows pertains only to the one screw disc. For information about the two screw discs, or additional details about the one screw disc and lots of other information about Swedish weapons, see Mats' Weapons Page online. That is where I learned how to decipher the disc on my rifle.

The one screw disc is divided into 3 sections, each of which is marked in such a way as to reveal some information about that particular rifle. The smallest "slice" of the brass disc bears the numbers 1, 2, and 3 with a triangular punch mark over one of the numbers. This indicates the condition of the bore. No punch mark is perfect. 1 means a very few dark areas in the corners of the lands and grooves. 2 indicates rust in the corners of the lands and grooves and possible light rust in the grooves. 3 indicates spots of light rust throughout the grooves, but no sharp edges; this is still acceptable. A rifle scoring lower than 3 was rebarreled. My rifle is a 3, but any rifle passed by the Swedish armorers will shoot very well, as the inspectors were quite picky. The bore of my rifle looks good to the naked eye.

The next slice of the little brass disc indicates the elevation aiming error when shooting the standard m/41 Swedish service load, which used a 140 grain boat-tail spitzer bullet at a MV of around 800 m/s. There are three Swedish words in this sector of the disc. "Torped" indicates the 140 grain BT spitzer bullet (there was an earlier 156 grain RN bullet), "Overslag" means over, followed by a space and then "Str." Str is the abbreviation for streck, a unit of angle, and there are 6300 streck to a circle. Streck were used in a manner similar to the way North American shooters use minutes of angle. If there is a number in the blank space between Overslag and Str. it indicates the amount the rifle shoots over in terms of streck. 1 streck equals approximately 1/10 meter at 100 meters. So a 1 in the space on the disc indicates that rifle would shoot 10 cm (or a little less than 4") above the point of aim at 100 meters. The space is blank on my rifle's disc, indicating that it shoots to point of aim.

The largest slice of the disc has an outer and an inner arc of numbers. The outer arc bears numbers "6.51" followed by the numbers 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 (my rifle has a punch mark over the "2"). The inner arc bears the numbers "6.46" followed by 7,8,9,0 (no punch mark over a number in the inner arc on my rifle). It is my understanding that these numbers reveal the nominal bore (6.46mm) and groove (6.51mm) diameters of a new barrel. The punch mark(s) reveals the actual diameter of the particular barrel (and thus, presumably, any wear). Thus, my barrel has a groove diameter of 6.52mm. Apparently the bore diameter of my barrel measured right at 6.46mm.

If the groove diameter measures between 6.51mm and 6.53mm all was well. If the groove diameter measured 6.54mm-6.55mm the rifle was used only for training. If the groove diameter exceeded 6.56mm the rifle was rebarreled. The Swedes are very meticulous people!

( Pulled from an on-line source )

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts

And one more tid-bit:

The m/96 is a very accurate service rifle. This was proven during the early years of the 20th Century, when the various powers held international service rifle matches. The host country provided the rifles and ammunition used in these matches to all of the teams so that all competitors used the host nations service rifle. In the entire history of this series of matches, the best scores across the board were not shot with the U.S. M-1903 Springfield, the British Lee-Enfield, or the vaunted German Model 98 Mauser, but with the Swedish m/96 and the Swiss Schmidt-Rubin rifles. These are the most accurate of the classic bolt action military rifles. No collection of military Mausers should be without a Swedish Model 1896.

(from same source)

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 04-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the great informational post! I hope everyone has the opportunity to shoot one of these great rifles. This is my favorite rifle to shoot as I have not felt a cleaner breaking trigger!

"When in doubt [use] C4." -Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)

Old 04-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #25

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
And one more tid-bit:

The m/96 is a very accurate service rifle. This was proven during the early years of the 20th Century, when the various powers held international service rifle matches. The host country provided the rifles and ammunition used in these matches to all of the teams so that all competitors used the host nations service rifle. In the entire history of this series of matches, the best scores across the board were not shot with the U.S. M-1903 Springfield, the British Lee-Enfield, or the vaunted German Model 98 Mauser, but with the Swedish m/96 and the Swiss Schmidt-Rubin rifles. These are the most accurate of the classic bolt action military rifles. No collection of military Mausers should be without a Swedish Model 1896.

(from same source)
You forgot one bit of info. In the Winter Biathalon the 6.5x55 was it untill they switched to .22lr. The 6.5x55/M96, M38, M63 were the top rifles for years.

Quote: The 6.5x55mm cartridge was widely used in biathlon competition until 1975 (when it was replaced by the .22 Long Rifle (.22 LR) rimfire cartridge), because of its inherent accuracy and historical popularity with the Scandinavian nations who have dominated this sport.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom
Nothing like the Fit & Finish of a Swede...........Thats a nice one TXnorton.
Absolutely beautiful mine looks exactly the same but idk if I have a good enough camera to take a pic like that lol

Old 04-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1212 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatupGod44 View Post
Absolutely beautiful mine looks exactly the same but idk if I have a good enough camera to take a pic like that lol
Here is the other side of her !
008.jpg  

When all else fails.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I checked my rifle and was pleased to find that my barrel condition is a 2, aiming error is not marked, and my groove diameter is 6.51. I have noticed that shooting reloaded ammunition is a lot more accurate than factory ammunition even using iron sights.

"When in doubt [use] C4." -Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)