Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > M-1896 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M-1896 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser

Was bored this morning, so the wife and I went down to my favorite toy store. It was this or a Swiss K-31, but the wood on the two K-31's they had were a bit too rough to re-finish well. So, I picked up this one. Manufactured in 1919. The bore looks good and I'll try it out at the range tomorrow. I've located a muzzle thread protector for it. The bayonet is next!

dscn0356.jpg   dscn0357.jpg  

TXnorton

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8623 Times on 3735 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

One of the best rifle calibers ever made, IMHO. While the K-31s are fun, ya done real good with that one as well.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-13-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations. Let us know how it shoots.

I've been wanting a Swedish Mauser myself. ...Someday.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-13-2011, 03:09 AM   #4

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

dang,thats a nice stick!
watt ammo will you be feeding it tomorrow?
range pics please!

Old 02-13-2011, 03:26 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Outstanding acquisition!

If you could have posted this yesterday I would have had a bayonet and frog for you. I gave my spare Swede bayo to a friend yesterday AM.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Outstanding acquisition!

If you could have posted this yesterday I would have had a bayonet and frog for you. I gave my spare Swede bayo to a friend yesterday AM.
M14 - Thanks for the thought, I guess I was a day late and now a bayonet short!

TXnorton

Old 02-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #7

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

Nice grab!! Samco global has surplus ammo and Bayonet/ frogs. The Swedes did not use corrosive ammo, just thought I'd add that. Some lots of Swede ammo have an orange color to the Brass. It seems they added Iron to the mix, shoots the same though w/ no issues. If you find your rifle shoot about 8" high, Sarco has +2.5 front sight blades and the correct thread protector. If your rear sight is stamped "S" you should be fine though. Samco also has the correct, original slings.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well, the weather warmed up today after two weeks of on and off freezing temperatures in Houston, so I took the new (old) M-1896 Swedish Mauser to the range this morning. I ran a box of store bought Winchester 140 grain bullets through it. I had to drift the front sight a bit as the first ten rounds were decidedly off to the right. The first photo is the second target. At 100 yards I was holding just below the black target and it was grouping about 6” above that. I was not unhappy with the groups, I just wish I had my younger eyesight back, bifocals don’t make it easy to maintain a good focus on the font sight and the target!

I also took the Type-38 Arisaka and ran about 2 boxes through it. No photo of that target, but “many” were in the black but not great groups, the barrel on that rifle is a tad worn out.

The second photo is of both the 6.5 mm rifles. It is amazing how similar the Type 38 Arisaka and the 1896 Swede are.

img_0057.jpg   img_0058.jpg  

TXnorton

Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
Well, the weather warmed up today after two weeks of on and off freezing temperatures in Houston, so I took the new (old) M-1896 Swedish Mauser to the range this morning. I ran a box of store bought Winchester 140 grain bullets through it. I had to drift the front sight a bit as the first ten rounds were decidedly off to the right. The first photo is the second target. At 100 yards I was holding just below the black target and it was grouping about 6” above that. I was not unhappy with the groups, I just wish I had my younger eyesight back, bifocals don’t make it easy to maintain a good focus on the font sight and the target!

I also took the Type-38 Arisaka and ran about 2 boxes through it. No photo of that target, but “many” were in the black but not great groups, the barrel on that rifle is a tad worn out.

The second photo is of both the 6.5 mm rifles. It is amazing how similar the Type 38 Arisaka and the 1896 Swede are.
Very nice!! I need to add an Arisaka.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

very nice rifle no one makes rifles like they did in the old days. many modern scoped rifles dont shoot as well as the old military ones with iron sights

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...