Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Curio & Relic Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   M-1896 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/m-1896-6-5-x-55-swedish-mauser-38371/)

TXnorton 02-12-2011 09:13 PM

M-1896 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser

2 Attachment(s)
Was bored this morning, so the wife and I went down to my favorite toy store. It was this or a Swiss K-31, but the wood on the two K-31's they had were a bit too rough to re-finish well. So, I picked up this one. Manufactured in 1919. The bore looks good and I'll try it out at the range tomorrow. I've located a muzzle thread protector for it. The bayonet is next!

c3shooter 02-13-2011 01:01 AM

One of the best rifle calibers ever made, IMHO. While the K-31s are fun, ya done real good with that one as well.

CA357 02-13-2011 01:06 AM

Congratulations. Let us know how it shoots.

I've been wanting a Swedish Mauser myself. ...Someday.

m72law 02-13-2011 03:09 AM

dang,thats a nice stick!
watt ammo will you be feeding it tomorrow?
range pics please!

M14sRock 02-13-2011 03:26 AM

Outstanding acquisition!

If you could have posted this yesterday I would have had a bayonet and frog for you. I gave my spare Swede bayo to a friend yesterday AM.

TXnorton 02-13-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 443921)
Outstanding acquisition!

If you could have posted this yesterday I would have had a bayonet and frog for you. I gave my spare Swede bayo to a friend yesterday AM.

M14 - Thanks for the thought, I guess I was a day late and now a bayonet short!

jpattersonnh 02-13-2011 02:46 PM

Nice grab!! Samco global has surplus ammo and Bayonet/ frogs. The Swedes did not use corrosive ammo, just thought I'd add that. Some lots of Swede ammo have an orange color to the Brass. It seems they added Iron to the mix, shoots the same though w/ no issues. If you find your rifle shoot about 8" high, Sarco has +2.5 front sight blades and the correct thread protector. If your rear sight is stamped "S" you should be fine though. Samco also has the correct, original slings.

TXnorton 02-13-2011 08:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, the weather warmed up today after two weeks of on and off freezing temperatures in Houston, so I took the new (old) M-1896 Swedish Mauser to the range this morning. I ran a box of store bought Winchester 140 grain bullets through it. I had to drift the front sight a bit as the first ten rounds were decidedly off to the right. The first photo is the second target. At 100 yards I was holding just below the black target and it was grouping about 6” above that. I was not unhappy with the groups, I just wish I had my younger eyesight back, bifocals don’t make it easy to maintain a good focus on the font sight and the target!

I also took the Type-38 Arisaka and ran about 2 boxes through it. No photo of that target, but “many” were in the black but not great groups, the barrel on that rifle is a tad worn out.

The second photo is of both the 6.5 mm rifles. It is amazing how similar the Type 38 Arisaka and the 1896 Swede are.

M14sRock 02-13-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXnorton (Post 444379)
Well, the weather warmed up today after two weeks of on and off freezing temperatures in Houston, so I took the new (old) M-1896 Swedish Mauser to the range this morning. I ran a box of store bought Winchester 140 grain bullets through it. I had to drift the front sight a bit as the first ten rounds were decidedly off to the right. The first photo is the second target. At 100 yards I was holding just below the black target and it was grouping about 6” above that. I was not unhappy with the groups, I just wish I had my younger eyesight back, bifocals don’t make it easy to maintain a good focus on the font sight and the target!

I also took the Type-38 Arisaka and ran about 2 boxes through it. No photo of that target, but “many” were in the black but not great groups, the barrel on that rifle is a tad worn out.

The second photo is of both the 6.5 mm rifles. It is amazing how similar the Type 38 Arisaka and the 1896 Swede are.

Very nice!! I need to add an Arisaka.

JonM 02-13-2011 09:28 PM

very nice rifle no one makes rifles like they did in the old days. many modern scoped rifles dont shoot as well as the old military ones with iron sights :)