Luger? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Luger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lugers are nice shooters and served in 2 world wars and were issued by more than a few countries. Ive yet to see a Russian capture close enuff to examine- I suspect they were broke down, cleaned up and reassembled with mix-master parts... which is sad. A good shooter would be nice to have- back in the day -1960s- a Luger was one of the few 9mms available to most- Walther P-38, BHPs, both very expensive and a S&W 39, also pricey. That all changed when more varieties were called for and provided.
Those I have used shot pretty good, minute of coffee-can- but were ammo sensitive and preferred hotter ammo than available in USA at the time. Fun for poppin rabbits even with the rudimentary sights. I did know some guys who preferred the Parabellum 9mm but that was their personal idiosyncracy. Personally Ive only fired the military 4" barreled P08s.
The comment above about magazines is right on, in my experience, it can get frustrating as well as pricey. Cool shooter, look neat.. look better with ivory grips (one of my goals in life was to get an ivory-gripped P08). Best wishes which ever way you decide to go... Dun

Last edited by DunRanull; 02-13-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #32

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I like the Luger.....got mine as a gift for myself after my divorce (gee....she can't say no to me anymore).....looks good and is accurate.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

"It's Tommy this, and Tommy that, and 'chuck 'im out, the brute,' But it's 'Savior of his Country,' When the guns begin to shoot." Rudyard Kipling

Old 02-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #33

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

Lugers are special handguns and in a class by themselves. The difference between a military and commercial example is as follows.
1. A military Luger will have the year of manufacture on the top of the receiver like yours does. Commercial Lugers are not dated.
2. The serial numbers will be visible on the sides of the pistols side plate and other parts. On a commercial Luger they are stamped on the underside of the sideplate.
Lugers are beautifully made and are superbly accurate handguns. Their value goes up at a good percentage every year as there are more collectors than guns. If you want to gauge Luger values check Simpson LTD website.
Bob Simpson is one of the largest Luger dealers in the USA. If you decide to get into Luger collecting I recommend you read every book you can find on the subject as collecting them can be a minefield. Also you say you visited the Luger Forum which was a good move as there's a wealth on info there. I think that every collector should have at least one Luger as they are truly one of the worlds great firearms.

black-widow-003.jpg   black-widow-002.jpg