A little help on my Mauser - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > A little help on my Mauser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjnfirearms View Post
Wow! Thanks for the info and your time spent. The rifle is completely original right down to the steel butt plate. Obviously, the shop that sold it to me for him knew nothing about the rifle at the time. I got it sometime in the early '80s for him. Can't remember exactly when.

As to location, fly, I'm half way up Western Pennsylvania.
It may have original parts, but the stock was cut down. Still a great rifle. I bought a matching GEW 98 that was sportered in the '80's also. $125.00 OTD.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If the stock was cut down, it was done quite professionally and a very long time ago. There's no obvious evidence of carpentry work on it which I imagine would be visible to at least some degree. I've had it completely torn down and it appears that the stock was always like it is. Now, I could be completely wrong, but that's the way it appears to me. I do know that most of the K98s I've seen have significantly longer forends going way down the barrel.

Another thing I have found is that the rifle is not number matched. I was hoping it would be, but am not surprised that it isn't. In reality, how many military rifles especially from back in the day never had components replaced at some time in it's active life.

I still am hoping to find out more about this rifle over time and with help. It's now becoming something of a quest for me.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #13

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

GEW/K98's were 90% of the time matching. I have a 1915 Elm stock That was cut down to M38 specs and used. You could not tell if you did not know that 1915 was the year they made them. My GEW was done very well, but it shows some signs, especially the serial number in the barrel channel. The Germans back in WWI used BLO, not a wax based oil as in WWII. It is pretty easy to match color w/ coats. .
Beleive what you want, Maybe Herman Gering hunted w/ it!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Nah, I don't want to believe that. It's not a matter of belief. It's how it appears. What it really is what it really is and that's ok with me. I just want to know the real story behind this rifle whatever it ends up being.