Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Lee-Enfield markings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 04:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lee-Enfield markings?

I recently got my enfield back from the gunsmith. I had it cleaned and looked over b/c I had previously had a primer fall out when I was shooting some surplus ammo.

I've recently done some reserch on the net about the SMLE... & I was wondering if anybody here knows anything about some of these markings that I found under the rear/top handguard.. they are stamped on the base of the barrel where it connects to the reciver.

I'll be posting this on some of the enfield forums also...

thanks for any info...

My Lee-Enfield #1 mark 3 SMLE

Here are the manufaturers mark.
a crown.
G.R
B
S (looks like two light strikes) LE
III (& 7pt star)

best pic of the additional markings above the serial # on the upper left (in the light glare) and above the last few digits of the serial #

and here is a few pic of the barrel markings (on the left of the barrel)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Very good pics Goomba. I have a No.1 MkIII 1942 SMLE. I don't know what the markings stand for, but if you sent those pics to the NRA they would identify them. I would be interested in knowing as well! Mine was stamped on the stock with the crown and "Lithgow 1942". It shoots great. What was the problem with yours? Headspace or bad ammo?

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #3

surplus ammo. I had the bolt get locked down due to a primer falling out of the casing after the round fired. I had just bought the rifle & didnt know anything about firearms, so I handed the rifle over to a buddy of mine that told me what had happened. I was then told that I should take it to a gun smith and have it looked at before I fired it again... & until recently, she has been sitting in the corner, just sitting there.

I'm hoping to get some ammo in for it soon. & then I get to go to the range and play with it some . after that I hope to go to my first high power match shoot and use my enfield to compete.. I have heard several good things about this rifle design as well as the .303 british round.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8310 Times on 3592 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

The crown and GR are govt markings- arms of the British Crown were the property of the Monarch, ya know- In this case, GR stands for George Rex (King George) 1942 is date of manufacture, SMLE is Short Magazine Lee Enfield. You may also find the "Broad Arrow"- 3 marks that make an arrow- British equivalent to the US Flaming Bomb mark- indicates govt issue. A common problem on older "Smellys" is that they have excessive headspace- rear locking lugs and worn weapon does that. Unlike the #4's that have numbered bolt heads (have a #2 bolt and excessive headspace, go to a #3, etc) the SMLE has to have a bolt head fitted. PLEASE have your smith check headspace before shooting- having primer fall out of pocket= ungood. also see surplusrifle.com for some more info on your rifle.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:58 AM   #5

thanks for the info.

looks like mine is Aussie... I'm still looking..

Old 07-25-2008, 02:06 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomba View Post
surplus ammo. I had the bolt get locked down due to a primer falling out of the casing after the round fired. I had just bought the rifle & didnt know anything about firearms, so I handed the rifle over to a buddy of mine that told me what had happened. I was then told that I should take it to a gun smith and have it looked at before I fired it again... & until recently, she has been sitting in the corner, just sitting there.

I'm hoping to get some ammo in for it soon. & then I get to go to the range and play with it some . after that I hope to go to my first high power match shoot and use my enfield to compete.. I have heard several good things about this rifle design as well as the .303 british round.
Be sure to have the headspace checked WITH A HEADSPACE GAUGE. The problem you describe is more of an indication of a headspace problem than an ammo problem. Primers, especially military primers, just don't fall out under normal circumstances...hot gasses in your face and eyes are not worth it.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #7

Default enfields

I just had primer almost come out on a mauser,I think the gun is ww1.there are no markings as it was sporterized probably in the 1920s as germany is stamped on reciever.
the enfields were often sold in cases with bolts separate in box so the bolts were mismatched,bolts are fitted to the rifle thats why the bolt heads.I bought a #4 and split the cases shooting at a deer,til one case took the head off.had to change the bolt head.#4s are easy I dont know about #1s.
thereis a book on enfields by north cape publishers
northcapepubs.com.mine is on #4 but there is on on the #1and they have others.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:40 AM   #8

I have the exact same markings on my Lee. Im still curious what the B. stamp means. I searched all over but cant find that info.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:08 AM   #9

Liked 1052 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1065

Check out this here; Part One - General History .........

When all else fails.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #10

It kinda looks like this one. B.S.A. co (Birmingham Small Arms Co.)

I think yours with just the B. would be a BSA made at the Shirley plant.

Most of the AUS made ones are stamped Lithgow like this one.

Great old rifles.

"The older I get, The better I was"

Last edited by kenhesr; 12-22-2011 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Top pic disappeared-??