Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Curio & Relic Discussion > Kill marks, real or myth?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kill marks, real or myth?

I've heard of a lot of guys with SKS' or Mosin Nagants say there is obvious scratch marks in a line in the stocks of their rifles. I looked closely at mine the other day and found 2 small X's scratched into the stock of my 91/30 so it got me wondering. Some guys say its just coincidental scratch marks from shipping and storing etc.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would not be surprised to find that some men did notch their service weapons, but I would think it would be a small percentage.

The human animal even in war, for the most part, still has a societal programming.

That is one of the easiest ways to describe why PTSD exists, because our society no longer "celebrates" the hunter/warrior the way they did back when the Indian roamed the plains.

If a brave came back from a war party, had 3 scalps or was recognized as being a fierce warrior by other members, he was reveared and heralded as the pride of the tribe.

If a serviceman, or woman, today were to do the same thing they would be labeled a monster.

Dating back to both World Wars the men on both sides were more quiet types. They didn't talk about their feelings openly and when they did discuss things like the battles they were in, it was amongst other members of the military who could understand.

You add that to the fact that most of them came back from the war on boats sailing across the ocean for weeks. That helps explain why not as many WWI and WWII vets had as many problems readjusting to society as opposed to Vietnam where I guy woke up in the jungle one day and woke up "back in the world" the next.

There was no decompression time, no time to de-escalate the bodies' enheightened senses that were awoken during combat.

My guess is that someone who would be openly notching their weapon might not be the most trusted of individual in a trench or bunker, just because of the fact that their appearance to celebrate death in such a way might make them more prone to attempt to re-create it.

I.E. - Take unnecessary chances.

Just a thought.

JD

Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I've wondered about that. My SKS didn't come in its original stock (unless Ramline was selling to the Chinese too).

I do remember two different .45 revolvers i've seen that had notches in the grip for persons killed. One was notched by a rural sheriff in TN who carried it for many years on duty; this gun was eventually stolen from a roomate (sheriff's grandson) in Memphis.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #4

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I say myth, nobody would do that.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 04-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1716 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Keep in mind that fighter planes and bombers kept a tally. It took 3 kills for a fighter pilot to become an ace.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8387 Times on 3629 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

JTJ, 5, not 3. As far as notching the stock- sure, just LET one of my Sgt's catch you whittling on the stock!
However, TANKERs were known to paint rings on the main gun tube...........

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
However, TANKERs were known to paint rings on the main gun tube...........
So are A-10 Warthog pilots